Author Topic: Looking for William Thomas of Tynycwm Farm, Pontyberem in 1911, 1901 or earlier  (Read 784 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for William Thomas of Tygwyn Farm, Pontyberem in 1911, 1901 or earlier
« Reply #36 on: Monday 24 April 23 21:47 BST (UK) »
As a follow on from this, I have been looking at Catherine Rees’ other children, all illegitimate. I have found another affiliation case she brought in 18 Nov 1898 against a P.C. Thomas Richards of Trimsaran. This must relate to her son David Rees born 03 Aug 1898. This case is more confusing as a Samuel Davies is mentioned by the defence as an alternative father. Samuel Davies I would think would be difficult to trace as there is no real other information on him. However, I thought P.C. Thomas Richards stationed at Trimsaran would be easier to find, but I am having no luck. Can anyone else find him?

Thank you

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for William Thomas of Tygwyn Farm, Pontyberem in 1911, 1901 or earlier
« Reply #37 on: Monday 24 April 23 22:26 BST (UK) »
No luck finding him in 1939. As he was less than a week old in 1901 and the census was on 31 Mar, he was born 25-30 Mar. There is no corresponding entry for a David John Thomas in the 1939 register. However, I have frequently found inaccuracies in DOB in the 1939 register. There is a John David Thomas born 31Mar1901, a widow, farm labourer, living at 2 Drefach Cottages, Carmarthen, I’m not sure. I can’t find an obvious death for him up to 1939 in Carmarthenshire so this suggest he should still be alive. I have looked for possible marriages but there are too many possibilities

Tynycwm seems to have been part of the Dolaucothi estate - report of a sale of sections in 1919 notes Tynycwm Old Colliery Office sold for £50 to Mr. D. J. Thomas. Tynycwm Farm was "sold to tenant" (unnamed)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 24 April 23 22:41 BST (UK) »
And in 1901, working from place of birth of the older children on 1911

St Clears police station

Thomas Richard    26    Head. Constable. B Cenarth
Mary A Richard    27    Wife b Cyffic
Mary M T Richard   6 Months    Daughter  b St Clears

Piece 5111, Folio 5, Page 1

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 07:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mabel, great stuff

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 08:17 BST (UK) »
PC Richards was not that far away (Ferryside)  in 1908
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3379226/3379230/119/%22thomas.%20richards%22%20AND%20trimsaran

So think this is him in 1911
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7JM-4CX

Interesting that one of those arrested was David Rees of Sardis, Trimsaran as in 1911 Catherine Anne was living with her children, mother Mary Rees (nee Hughes) and brother/step brother David Rees at Old Sardis, Trimsaran

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 28 April 23 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking. Now that I know where he fits in to the tree I have a possible contact in Pontyberem who would be related to him. I haven’t been in contact with her for a while and she is 92 (if still around). I’ll update if I have any success on this front.

I have had some feedback from my contact. She said sadly David John became a recluse, did not marry and thinks he died sometime in the 30s.

William Thomas of Tynycwm (Fach) died in May 1917. He had jumped aboard a passing motor van and after a short distance jumped off again. Unfortunately he fell awkwardly, banged his head and never recovered consciousness. My contact said he jumped off at a point that he would have been able to take a shortcut across fields to the farm/lodge.