Author Topic: Perkins pre-census  (Read 378 times)

Offline Neil1981

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Perkins pre-census
« on: Friday 21 April 23 19:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Reader...

Thank you for your time :)

I have, so far, confidently traced my 'Perkins / Perkyns' line back to a Samuel Perkins (1761 - 1798 Market Harborough) however, after recently revisiting my 'Perkins' family tree, I have stumbling across Woodborough's Hertiage (link below)
http://www.woodborough-heritage.org.uk/chapterxiv-woodboroughhall.html

On review of the details, I am eager to avoid any assumed family conections through Ancestry etc which seem to collectively connect to the Woodborough's heritage, and / or split the family line into Berkshire / Derbyshire.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding confirming or even finding records pre-1700's which could provide confirmation of lineage?

My family can be confidently traced from either side local to Ashby de la Zouch / Market Bosworth, and Coventry while also spanning out across the Midlands, but also as far out to Devonshire & County Durham.

Please ask for more details, I've deliberately simplified this post for the ease of the reader ...

Cheers!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Perkins pre-census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 23 19:37 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at www.familysearch.org
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Neil1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 23 19:55 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at www.familysearch.org

Thanks CaroleW

I have looked across the wealth of search engines and organisations...

Have you personally found www.familysearch.org more helpful?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 April 23 20:30 BST (UK) »
FS was & still is the “go to” website for pre-1837 BMD’s
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Neil1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 23 20:43 BST (UK) »
FS was & still is the “go to” website for pre-1837 BMD’s

Ahh, okay, great! ... I'd be interested to read your findings via your preferred links and regarding this post :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 April 23 07:16 BST (UK) »
FreeReg has Samuel PERKINS baptism 11 Mar 1761 at Market Haborough, frustratingly gives mother's name "Mary" and father's surname "PERKINS" only. However, other children baptised around this time in the same location have parents Thomas and Mary.

A possibility then for a marriage bewteen Thomas PERKINS and Mary BRAEFILD 17 May 1750 at Market Harborough, both otp.

https://www.freereg.org.uk

Offline Neil1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 April 23 12:53 BST (UK) »
FreeReg has Samuel PERKINS baptism 11 Mar 1761 at Market Haborough, frustratingly gives mother's name "Mary" and father's surname "PERKINS" only. However, other children baptised around this time in the same location have parents Thomas and Mary.

A possibility then for a marriage bewteen Thomas PERKINS and Mary BRAEFILD 17 May 1750 at Market Harborough, both otp.

https://www.freereg.org.uk

Thank you Maddy!  ;D

I seem to have stubbled across the same Thomas Perkins and Mary Brafield on a couple of similar trees (Ancestry) ... although to be on the safe side, its probably best to air of the side of objectivity when reviewing somebody else's 'homework'  :P ... if it is Thomas, and he was baptised April 1730, then his father's name is William!

Some further suggestions / hints generated point to a Joseph Perkins or a John Perkins (both married to a 'Mary') and in the Kibworth Beauchamp, Leicestershiree area or Hillmorton, Warkwickshire... although considering the proximity of Market Harborough to Hillmorton it seems like it would be a rather long journey just to get baptised  :-\

Thanks again for looking, I'm going to delve a little deeper this afternoon :)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 April 23 21:07 BST (UK) »
OP, you say that you've across a wealth of search engines etc so I don't want to spend time repeating what you already know/have seen.

I presume that FindmyPast is one of the search engines you've seen? They have the Leic PRs.

I've just looked at the baptism that maddys52 mentions, to see if the original has any further info that's not made it onto freereg. I see that no father's name is given - there's just a line. That would make me wonder if Samuel was in fact illegitimate. Against that is the fact that it seems to sat "and Mary Perkins"  - so it reads

March 11 Samuel Son of  ----  & Mary Perkins".

It seems odd that the father's name hasn't been included though. I've seen plenty of instances of the mother's name being missed out altogether or just referred to as "wife of", but leaving off the father's name seems much less common.

Have you looked into any Mary Perkins who might have been in that area and unmarried at the time?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Neil1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hey all,

Thanks for the responses ... been a while since I've had sufficient time to do more research (hope that's understandable!)

From piecing together information from Births / Baptisms, Marriages, and Deaths / Burials I've loosely (but diligently) compiled the following line

Providing here for all to review but also for any potential new leads / future researchers :)