Author Topic: Blud family in Shifnal and Badger.  (Read 516 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blud family in Shifnal and Badger.
« on: Sunday 23 April 23 13:23 BST (UK) »
I got the death certificate for my ancestor Sarah Blud nee Thompson/Tipson.  She died 23rd April 1841 in Shifnal, age 72, widow of Thomas Blud, decay of nature, Informant Elizabeth Blud, present at the death, Shifnal.

I had been unable to find death records for her husband Thomas Blud, born 1770 Shifnal, Shropshire, married 4th January 1790 Birmingham.

My ancestor was their daughter Ann Blud, born 29th January 1806 Shifnal, died January 1877 Whitchurch, Shropshire, burial 12th January 1877 Badger.

Ann Blud's husband was Walter Scott, Farm Bailiff in Badger, on whose death certificate the Informant was Harriet Blud, most likely Ann's sister Harriet, born 8th May 1808 Shifnal, died 23 July 1882 Badger.  Unmarried, domestic servant, left a will with the Executor Thomas Scott (Ann's son).

I have a DNA match which links to a private Ancestry tree, the Hope-Brown tree which has Elizabeth Blud 1811-1893 born Shropshire, spouse William Ellis. I don't know if this is the same Elizabeth Blud who was the Informant on Sarah Blud's death certificate.

I am finding the Blud family difficult to find any information about.  It does look from Sarah's death certificate that she was the mother of Ann Blud.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Blud family in Shifnal and Badger.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 23 14:57 BST (UK) »
St Andrew, Shifnal
Thomas Blud
Age 65
Burial date 01 Oct 1829
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
St Andrew, Shifnal
Thomas Blud
Age 65
Burial date 01 Oct 1829

Thank you so much, I have been searching for that information for ages.

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 23 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Shropshire Family History Society has an online database of many Monumental Inscriptions throughout Shropshire.
There are two BLUD listed (given names aren't listed) both at Saint Andrews, Shifnal. Transcripts are available from the Society for a few pounds.
If you didn't know about the burial that Rosie provided, do you know about the four others in Shifnal that Find my Past list ?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 23 15:47 BST (UK) »

I have a DNA match which links to a private Ancestry tree, the Hope-Brown tree which has Elizabeth Blud 1811-1893 born Shropshire, spouse William Ellis. I don't know if this is the same Elizabeth Blud who was the Informant on Sarah Blud's death certificate.

I cannot see a baptism for an Elizabeth daughter of Thomas and Ann in Shifnal.  1841 has an Elizabeth Blud (Philips wife) who could possibly have been the informant.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 April 23 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Shropshire Family History Society has an online database of many Monumental Inscriptions throughout Shropshire.
There are two BLUD listed (given names aren't listed) both at Saint Andrews, Shifnal. Transcripts are available from the Society for a few pounds.
If you didn't know about the burial that Rosie provided, do you know about the four others in Shifnal that Find my Past list ?

No I don't know very much about the Blud family, other than Ann Blud.

Ann's sister Harriet Blud, who never married, turned up as Informant on the death certificate of Walter Scott, Ann's husband, and an Elizabeth Blud turned up as Informant on the death certificate of Sarah Blud.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 April 23 15:53 BST (UK) »

I cannot see a baptism for an Elizabeth daughter of Thomas and Ann in Shifnal.  1841 has an Elizabeth Blud (Philips wife) who could possibly have been the informant.

I am still totally uncertain who Elizabeth Blud is, who was the Informant on Sarah's death certificate.  I do have some of Ann's siblings listed on my tree, but hadn't found an Elizabeth.  A DNA match has an Elizabeth Blud born 1811 on his Ancestry tree, and a related private tree who I also DNA match has a bit more information about that Elizabeth.

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 April 23 15:58 BST (UK) »
Marriages at St. Peter’s, Wolverhampton.
BLUD Elizabeth, spinster, 5th Mar 1835, to ELLIS William, bachelor, Banns.
BLUD Ann, spinster, 26th Dec 1832, to SCOTT Walter, widower, Banns. Harriet was a witness.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 April 23 16:49 BST (UK) »
Marriages at St. Peter’s, Wolverhampton.
BLUD Elizabeth, spinster, 5th Mar 1835, to ELLIS William, bachelor, Banns.
BLUD Ann, spinster, 26th Dec 1832, to SCOTT Walter, widower, Banns. Harriet was a witness.

Thanks.  It does seem as though Elizabeth is another of Ann's siblings.  That is definitely my ancestor Ann Blud who married Walter Scott.  If Elizabeth isn't Ann's sister, she could be another close relation, especially as I have two DNA matches with Elizabeth Blud who married William Ellis on their trees.