Author Topic: origin of cromer street name  (Read 234 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
origin of cromer street name
« on: Sunday 23 April 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
can anyone tell me who Hans place in cromer. is named after please...no. luck. trying to find out on internet

thanks

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: origin of cromer street name
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hans Place, Cromer first appears in newspaper articles in 1884, which fits with it being in FindMyPast address searches in 1891 but not 1881. This is around the time that the Norfolk coast was being popularised by Clement Scott (Poppyland).

There is a Hans Square in London, near Sloane Street and named for Sir Hans Sloane. Perhaps it was inspired by that.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: origin of cromer street name
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 23 22:20 BST (UK) »
One of my lines lived in Wisbech..  In the early days short insignificant streets and lanes were known by the factory owners, land owners or publicans.

One of my ancestors was apprenticed to a chimney sweep by the name of Robert Blake, , who had his business in "Willis's Close".  Mr Willis had retired years before but the name wasn't dropped until the local residents  were used to getting their chimneys swept once a year by Robert Blake and thereafter the passage was known as Blake.s Passage.

The area was flattened and developed a couple of decades ago.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke