Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 30th April  (Read 1877 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 30th April
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 10:23 BST (UK) »
Appointment went very well.  Doctor came out to meet me and she had a lovely, supportive manner, explained things very well and listened to me.
Up shot is Doctor thinks I should go on med (only one a day but nothing she said made me anxious, thankfully.)  She says getting bp down  will reduce risk of heart attack or stroke within next ten years massively.  Obviously a good thing. 
She says she can put me on med which won't  interact with grapefruit! :D
Will be remonitored again in a month.
It was actually a stress free appointment and I'm feeling very relaxed now. :)  Just waiting for bus home and will have early lunch before heading off for work
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 10:42 BST (UK) »
So pleased it went well and you feel more relaxed, AND more to the point you can still eat grapefruit which you enjoy.
I haven't had my B P  checked for a very long  time, I would say before Covid, I think a once a year check should be called for,  I am sure it used to be,
Enjoy your day RTL  stress free
LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 11:44 BST (UK) »
Delighted to hear it went so well RTL. Enjoy the grapefruit too! My husband has high bp and takes two different meds now and they put him on a statin too but no one has ever told him to not eat grapefruit. Fortunately he says he hasn’t had a grapefruit for years lol. Neither have I - it’s just not something we eat . Now if you’re talking fresh pineapple then that’s one of my favourites.
North East of England

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks LM and Candleflame.  I really liked that Doctor.  She seemed very kind and supportive, and had a practical 'this is what can be done' approach.
LM, I think people can just pop into some chemists now to have bp checked.
Candleflame, perhaps your husband might be on same med as I will be getting if he can still have grapefruit if he chose to?  I hope you enjoy some fresh pineapple soon. :)
I do know others who are not able to have it.  I had bought a tin of grapefruit in juice in the expectation this would be my last.  It was fortunate that I lamented about enjoying it so much and having to give it up and so the Doctor said not a problem and I could go on a med which wouldn't interact.  Not that I  have it every day but I didn't like the thought of having to give it up altogether.
Doc talked about lifestyle changes such as reducing salt and increasing exercise.  I said I don't add salt to cooking anyway and that I do plenty of walking at work and I said I have not had a problem in past with bp etc so why has this happened?  Doctor said sometimes it can be down to getting older and genetics.  She said that someone could be like Mo Farrer and still get high blood pressure.  Somehow, that makes me feel better that I might not be to blame for this - if that makes sense?
I called at M&S before work yesterday to get some broad beans.  I was told they do stock them but they were all out of these.  Will have to try another time.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 19:36 BST (UK) »
Darn and blast it!  I've been to the chemist today.  Double checked with assistant about grapefruit.   She sought confirmation out the back and two pharmacists  have both given a resounding no for having grapefruit with the prescription med sent.  And I've had some today, thinking it would be alright.
I told a Pharmacist what doctor said and he confirmed there is another one which doesn't interact but not this one.
Will need to chase this up.
It certainly pays to double check things! :-\

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 April 23 09:54 BST (UK) »
How frustrating for you RTL.
I've just looked at my husband's two meds for blood pressure and his Amlodopine has printed by the pharmacy on the sticky label not to take grapefruit. However his Lisinopril doesn't have any warning on it so presumably it's ok for that one. His Statin med has a no grapefruit label on it too. Obviously you might be on a totally different med and a different chemist but certainly our chemist has put clear instructions on them.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 April 23 11:47 BST (UK) »
RTL,  what a shame after you were told you could have grapefruit, what is your next best fruit to enjoy.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 April 23 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Candleflame and LM, I've been at work all day so just getting a chance to respond now.  I have had a text from Doctor and bizarrely she disagrees with the pharmacists and says I can have grapefruit with Amlodipine as long it is not very large amounts.  However, I have checked the patient information leaflet for this med and it says grapefruit or grapefruit juice should not be taken.
How very strange that there isn't a concensus  about this.  I'm not going to risk it.
When I get the chance I think I will return to the chemist and show them the text and I think I might email a photo of the part mentioned on the leaflet to the doctor.  I don't like to get into conflict about it with them but I think this is very odd that I am getting such contradictory advice. ???

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/amlodipine/common-questions-about-amlodipine/

Just to add the doctor did send me this link and on this website it does say to avoid large amounts.  I feel wary about it now. :-\

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 April 23 08:02 BST (UK) »
I do think this  contradiction does happen sometimes and who to believe, think if it were me I would not  have the grapefruit to be on the safe side, a shame if you really enjoy it though.

Weather-wise have not had the best of weeks here, plenty of rain,  my neighbours away but coming  home today,  I had plans to tidy up our shared drive, only had  one afternoon warm enough  to go outside, so it hasn't been done.

Bank Holiday weekend coming up, our local bowls club has spare seats on their coach for an away match to Herne Bay,  weather permitting I will take up a seat  on Sunday, my husband won't go as his legs aren't so good but I will leave him stocked up so that he won't miss me, ha  ha!!

I am hoping  the weather cheers up today, my daughter is having a new kitchen installed and I am helping out with her washing,  I need a good drying day today .
Hope everyone is feeling better after their vaccinations, I have had the  call  so I will be next,  all centres are a drive away now which is a nuisance

Take care everyone

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London