Author Topic: William & George Wind killed in mine accident Birthplace  (Read 194 times)

Online Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William & George Wind killed in mine accident Birthplace
« on: Monday 24 April 23 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks, This came about as I was mapping out families and found a problem with a Wind family. I had found two Winds, killed in a mine accident on the same day at Sheriff Hill Colliery, Gateshead in 1815, there were 7 killed that day, among them a William aged 50 and a George aged 20, I had incorrectly assumed they were father and son. I now realise that they are related but cannot locate birthplaces with certainty. I am looking for Georges family and had several options and have narrowed it down (I think) to two. As his birthdate is assumed to be 1795 if he was 20 when killed 1815, there are two that come close.
1  George born 18 Oct 1795 Lumley, son of William(tailor) and Ann
2  George born 10 Jul 1796 Birtley, son f Thomas (pitman) and Jane
A George born 1797, Gateshead, to Henry and Isabel, but I believe he was later married so is excluded.
I did not want to "assume" that the son of a pitman is the correct one, even though that seems the most likely, nor that the son of a tailor could become a miner. George was buried in Gateshead as was the William, but that may have nothing to do with their birthplace, given that these guys move around a bit. I am also not 100% sure which William was killed, but, it would be great to get George nailed down.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Winn, Wynne, Wynd, Wind, Winde

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William & George Wind killed in mine accident Birthplace
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 23 11:49 BST (UK) »
One of my gg grandfathers, who was a tailor in Gateshead, had sons who went down the pit, and then it was pitmen all the way down to my father who was a miner briefly but got out as soon as he could. So yes, at that period don't assume anything when it comes to who might become a miner. Indeed it's just occurred to me that my mother's great uncle (by marriage) was an American-born actor, and he ended up as a miner in County Durham too.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 23 11:52 BST (UK) »
I’m assuming that you have seen the newspaper reports. One thing that struck me as odd is that George is referred to as a boy. I would have thought that at that time a 20-year old man working underground would have been referred to as something other than that.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 23 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan, its easy to jump to the wrong conclusion. All the mine reports and newspaper things were pretty basic. There were two younger guys that I think were "boys". The mine had a terrible reputation. The dmm website has a lot about mine accidents, just not a lot of personal info.
Winn, Wynne, Wynd, Wind, Winde