Author Topic: James Oliver born 26 December 1701 in Jedburgh  (Read 185 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
James Oliver born 26 December 1701 in Jedburgh
« on: Monday 24 April 23 08:43 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on James Oliver born 26 December 1701 and baptised on 26 December 1701 in Jedburgh,  So far I have him married to a jean Davidson, marriage date 10 November 1724 in Jedburgh.

The couple had a number of children.  I am particularly intersted in their son Robert Oliver born 16 April 1727 and baptised 23 April 1727 in Jedburgh.    This Robert may be my 5th great grandfather.  If this is the case he migrated to England and died in Hartington, Derbyshire in 1804.

The family story is that Robert was part of the Jacobite army of Prince Charles Edward Stuart which marched to Derby in 1745 and realising there was insufficient support returned to Scotland (ending   in the battle of Culloden).  The  family story goes, Robert left the army in Derbyshire and settled in Hartington where he married and had several children.

I have information on the Derbyshire side of the family but would appreciate it if anyone has information on the Oliver family of Jedburgh.

Any information appreciated.
marp

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Oliver born 26 December 1701 in Jedburgh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 23 09:32 BST (UK) »
There are eight recorded marriages of a James Oliver in Scotland between 1720 and 1750, including two in Jedburgh (one in 1724, the other in 1727). The records of any others have not survived.

I feel it is more likely that the James born in 1701, if he survived childhood, would be one of these men. It would have been far easier for a man from the Jacobite army to return to Scotland than to stay and integrate with the local community in the prevailing circumstances.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 23 12:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Robert Oliver, son of James, was baptised in 1727 in Jedburgh.  Family stories (which may or may not be true) indicate Robert may have been the Jacobite soldier who  left the army and settled in Hartington, Derbyshire.

I was brought up in Derbyshire, near Derby, where the Jacobite army came to a halt in 1745.  Although it may have been difficult and hazardous, Derbyshire accounts indicate that some soldiers did indeed defect/abscond/desert.  This does give some (although not a great deal) of credence to the family story.

Thanks again for your response.
marp

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 11:32 BST (UK) »
There is no age given on the Burial of Robert Oliver 1804.

Did Robert marry Elizabeth SALT 1752 Hartlington?

Children were;
Anne 1753
Thomas 1755
Rebecca 1756
John 1758
Robert 1761
George 1765

Elizabeth was buried 10 Aug 1767, Wife of Robert

As they did not name children James or Jean in my opinion your Robert is unlikely to be their Son.

Also there were certainly other Olivers living in Hartlington c 1746-1752 as there are 4 Oliver Marriages 1746/1747/1752 and yours 1752
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)