Author Topic: Derbyshire Quakers - Monyash Ashford Meeting  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Re: Derbyshire Quakers - Monyash Ashford Meeting
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has made suggestions.  I have been working my way through the links provided that were new to me.

I don't have access to Derbyshire Hearth Tax Returns, but there is no Richard Bonsall listed in the 1661 Derbyshire Free and Voluntary Present. 

The Rootsweb Richard Bonsall info is mostly rubbish.

The Richard Bonsall bpt 1641 Hartington son of Joseph may well be my man, but Joseph is deceased a couple of years later and I have found no other info to confirm one way or the other. 

I have checked everything I can think of on Ancestry and NA for Hartington and Alstonefield.

The will of Roger Bonsall 1559 is of interest but I don't have a Find My Past sub.

Richard Bonsall's descendants have extremely unusual YDNA ie PF2431 (north African origin) as do Millwards from a similar area of Derbys/Staffs.  Looking for more people who are willing to test!

Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to help.

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 July 23 10:33 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has two records for the will of Roger Bonsall but neither is the actual will. They are an entry from a calendar of wills and admons and from an Act book which records the grant of probate or admon. The first shows that it is an admon not a will, the second is in Latin with terrible writing but I think it says the administrators were William and John Bonsall the sons - and not much else.

Sometimes in cases like this it turns out they do have images of the actual will or admon but with the name or place misread but I've tried various variations and nothing shows up. Being an admon it's not likely to yield any more useful info anyway.

There's also a John Bonsall of Hartington in 1558, but again just in the calendar of admons.

The Richard Bonsall Altonsfield 1631 is an inventory with admon (in Latin) added at the bottom. He lived at Westside in Altonsfield and administration went to his relict Joan. There seems to be a mention of a son Matthew.

The will of Matthew Bonsall of Wesside in Altonsfield 1684 shows he had a son Richard, but he appears to be the Richard of Wesside in Altonsfield who died in 1725/26 and so presumably not the one you want.

I haven't come across the Free and Voluntary Present before. Is it available online?

David

PS What a terrible memory I have! I see now you looked up some names in the Free and Voluntary Present for me a few years ago!

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 July 23 19:29 BST (UK) »
Chuckle, chuckle, sadly I think failing memory comes to us all in time!

Many thanks for searching the records so thoroughly and for letting me have your findings.  Every scrap of info is much appreciated.

Best wishes

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne