Author Topic: Details in the 1617 Will of Rihard Cowper als Stenning of Rudgwick  (Read 239 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Details in the 1617 Will of Rihard Cowper als Stenning of Rudgwick
« on: Monday 24 April 23 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am hoping someone can help me decipher some of the names or bequests in this will from 1617. I can read most of it fairly well and the names are pretty much all decipherable apart from one or two.

I am stuck, however, with a few bits and odd words here and there so I hope people can help here.

In the first image here Richard leaves to his wife Elizabeth XXb now I know that's not pence as it would be XXd so what value would that be? 20 shillings?

He leaves to the poor of the parish iiib iiiid which seems to be 3 shillings 4 pence so on this basis I presume his bequest to Elizabeth is in shillings. Correct me if wrong.

In the second image here at the top line he mentions his goddaughter Susan. Can anyone work out her surname? I think it begins with "A" but I am struggling with it.

Lastly in the final image he appoints two friends as overseers. The second name is William Stenning [you can only see "Stenn" but I suspect that's the full name] but can anyone work out the first one? It looks like Lorraine something but I don't think that is right.

Thank you in advance for any help here

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Details in the 1617 Will of Rihard Cowper als Stenning of Rudgwick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 23 15:28 BST (UK) »
What looks like a b is, as you thought, a ‘sigma-type’ s, for shillings. So the amounts are 3s. 4d and 20s.

Susane Alchine (I think)

Larrannce Searll (presumably = Laurence)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 23 15:52 BST (UK) »
I thought Alchine too, before reading Bookbox's reply.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 23 00:19 BST (UK) »
What looks like a b is, as you thought, a ‘sigma-type’ s, for shillings. So the amounts are 3s. 4d and 20s.

Susane Alchine (I think)

Larrannce Searll (presumably = Laurence)

Brilliant. I did think that it probably was shillings but I haven't seen it written that way much before. Luckily in my notes I have transcribed that bit as 20 shillings but with a [?] at the end.

Thank you for the names as well. Alchine is close to what I had - "Achin" so I wasn't far off lol!

Many thanks again for the help.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 23 00:21 BST (UK) »
I thought Alchine too, before reading Bookbox's reply.

I have looked at the will again and agree with you and Bookbox.

Many thanks for the help.

Matt