Author Topic: Maher family Fair View Cottages, Kildare.  (Read 310 times)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maher family Fair View Cottages, Kildare.
« on: Tuesday 25 April 23 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm trying to find out where someone who died in Fairview Cottages in Kildare would have been buried. Her name is Bridget Maher nee Kelly and she died aged 63 years on 22 April 1937. Her husband was Patrick Maher b 2 Jan 1864 and died about 1945/6. I have a receipt from the funeral director which is dated Feb 1946 but no other details. I think he may have gone into a home of some sort.
My friend is going to Ireland in a few weeks and would like to sprinkle some of her sister's ashes in the graveyard where her grandparents were buried.
If anyone can help I would be so grateful.
Diane
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maher family Fair View Cottages, Kildare.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 15:54 BST (UK) »
Irish Independent, April 23 1937
Maher (Kildare) April 22 1937 Bridget wife of Patrick 16 Fair View Kildare etc.
Funeral in Parish Church to Grey Abbey

https://mapcarta.com/W80171950

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 17:02 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks so much for this, I assume the Parish Church would be St Bridget's Parish Church in Kildare.

I have found out that Patrick Maher who died in 1945/6 died at the Sisters of Mercy in Athy and that his request was that he be buried with 'Katie' who would be his sister Catherine Esther Maher who died of TB aged 16 in Fair View Cottages on 11 March 1918.

Would you be kind enough to see if you can see anything about them please?
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 17:27 BST (UK) »
I did assume Patrick would be in Athy as the county home is there but I can't find his death cert. It would be unusual for the home not to register a death so are you sure of the likely years.
I had no luck with the newspapers even leaving out the date.

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes my friend has found a letter from his son saying he was going to the county home, I've sent her a message to ask her to check her dates. It must be after 1937 as when his wife Bridget died she was recorded as being married.

Thanks for your help so far, if I get anything back from my friend I'll continue the post.

BTW Catherine Esther was Patrick's daughter not sister.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 18:25 BST (UK) »
Had a look at her death cert, sadly a 16 year old dying from TB in 1918 wouldn't as a rule be in the newspapers, I had a quick look but didn't see anything, death notices at that time were usually only for the Gentry.

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you so much for your help, I guessed as much.

My friend has found her paperwork and she says that she has an invoice from William Whelan Funeral Furnishers of Grey Abbey, Kildare dated 28 Feb 1946 for the funeral of the late Patrick Maher dated 26 Feb 1946 and a telegram to one of his sons saying 'your dad died today 26 Feb signed Matron' So I think we can conclude that Patrick got his wish and was buried with daughter Catherine (Katie) in Grey Abbey and so was his wife Bridget, as you found.

Apparently, there was a metal cross grave marker which I expect has gone by now.

Strange that we can't find a death record, but never mind I think we have enough to go on. I don't have any experience in finding a plot number in Ireland, in England I would email the local council do I do the same in Ireland? Can you help me in this?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 12:40 BST (UK) »
It’s in the care of Kildare County Council
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s8z/
Last page
I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no record of plots
https://kildarecoco.ie/YourCouncil/CustomerService/ContactUs/

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 April 23 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again, I'll give it a go!