Author Topic: South African records with images on Family Search  (Read 677 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
South African records with images on Family Search
« on: Wednesday 26 April 23 01:44 BST (UK) »
I just wanted to let people know that there are some really great South African records on Family Search now with images.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/South_Africa_Genealogy

Yesterday, I found baptism, marriage and death, and probate records - an absolute bounty.  I was really thrilled.  I never thought I would see the marriage record I was looking for as was previously found by an RC member via a look-up.

I am not sure how long these records have been available, but I would advise checking on free Family Search first before you pay for an alternative South African-based ancestors site.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South African records with images on Family Search
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 23 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thank You
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 23 11:02 BST (UK) »
I agree with Nova. I found some a while ago and many more have been added since then.

I have recently used them to find relatives from two of my lines who went there.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 23 09:55 BST (UK) »
Family Search has the largest collection of South Africa records. It is well worth using it as your main resource for records. There are many records that have not yet been indexed so it is worth learning how use the catogue to find a relevant film to page through.
The current indexing projects are working through the Cape Ring Books so if you are looking for baptisms in the DRC church in the cape province do check regularly

WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 April 23 23:11 BST (UK) »
I am now attempting to order a Probate record dated 1951 as I have seen indexed on NAAIRS at the Cape Town Archives. Not an easy process when I am based in Australia.  I am trying through Ancestors.co.za as I had no reply to a general enquiry to the Archives themselves. 

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 April 23 06:39 BST (UK) »
Some of the 1951 Probate records are on-line just not indexed you can find them here https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/2059484?availability=Family%20History%20Library
If you have the reference from NAAIrS you should be able to find the recrord

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 April 23 06:44 BST (UK) »
I've had no luck so far.  It is this one:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.za/node/1347785

HENRY DANIEL ISAAC BAATJES (ESTATE papers) 1951

I thank you for your suggestion  :)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 April 23 06:58 BST (UK) »
Sadly that's a Kimberley file and they only have them on-line up to 1937 - there is no death notice in the file so that's a pity - you may be able to find his civil death notice on-line as those are indexed and  go up to 1954. I am sure you will get a response from ancestors.co.za.

Ordering directly from the archive is cheaper as they charge R1/page but that makes it diffucult to pay. I usually save up my requests for when I visit the cape. You could try writing to Erika Le Roux @ westerncape .gov.za (remove spaces) she is one of the main archivists

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 April 23 07:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all of the above.  I will see how I get on with going through with the Ancestors site lady.  I believe she is away until next week.

I ordered something some years ago and had to ring the archives to pay.  I am sure it will be easier to go through that site to pay.

I do have his death record and marriage from Family Search. That was really fantastic. 

Many thanks for your help.  I appreciate it greatly.