Author Topic: Catholic children's home 1913/14,manchester area  (Read 510 times)

Online eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Catholic children's home 1913/14,manchester area
« on: Wednesday 26 April 23 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi lve recently discovered  three boys from my husbands family were put into a children's home poss about 1913 they lived in the crumpsall area it could have been a little later but before 1918, lve been told they were taught by nuns, after a family breakdown the husband left,,and she couldn't keep them  the wife later married 1918,, lm trying to find them or any records,,, where do l start 👀,,  thanks eda
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic children's home 1913/14,manchester area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 15:22 BST (UK) »
There is an extensive list of children's homes in Lancashire here:

http://childrenshomes.org.uk/list/Lancashire.shtml

The only one with a Crumpsall address seems to have been established after 1930 and was run by the City Council.  There is no category specific to Catholic institutions – although Magdalen Homes are listed I don't think these are relevant to your query.

There was a workhouse in Crumpsall. Is it possible that the children were there, and that nuns visited to teach Catholic children?
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online eda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thankyou lm hoping manchester library may hold some records,,, thanks for your time eda
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 15:57 BST (UK) »
Could you give their names and birth years, parents names etc?

There might be something online someone can find for you.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online eda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi William John B:1904
     Herbert.        :   1906
     Martin Desmond 1912
Parents William john mulligan
              Eva emma Carter..
I think l may have found Martin Desmond 1939 census at Winwick hospital, the parents split up around 1913 ish they had at least 5 children, the mother had to put the  boys were sent to a home l was told it was a, workhouse and nuns looked after them,, lm just trying to find any records of the boys whilst at the home, both parents went on to re marry,

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 19:07 BST (UK) »
.....the parents split up around 1913 ish they had at least 5 children, the mother had to put the  boys were sent to a home l was told it was a, workhouse and nuns looked after them

I can see that Emma remarried in 1918 to Fred TATTERSALL.  In 1921 they are all together in Prestwich, surname transcribed by FindMyPast as 'FATTERSON'  ::)

Fred and Emma have two sons, Arthur born 1921 and Fred born 1919, as well as MULLIGAN children, Robert born 1916, Evelyn born 1913, Kathleen born 1910, Herbert born 1906, and William born 1904.

In 1911 Herbert and Kathleen (Catherine) are said to be born in Manchester but their births were actually registered in Bristol.

Robert born 1916 and remarriage in 1918 doesn't leave much time for the children to be in a home.  Do you think that Robert wasn't William's son and that Emma was a bigamist?

Martin was also  born in Bristol, not Manchester.

This from 1921 might be worth looking at, no other household members showing in the indexes so could be an institution:

Martin MULLIGAN
Born 1912, Manchester, Lancashire, England

Living at Northenden, Bucklow, Cheshire

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 19:17 BST (UK) »
The mother is Eliza Emma CARTER, not Eva Emma.

Debra  :)

Online eda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi thankyou for your help, l havnt subscribed for find my past, but will have to take a look,,
It's a real tangle this family,, and yes l think bigamist,, comes into it although if it all comes together Eliza's first husband maybe my husbands grandfather,, l was told he left and said he would send her money. The money stopped arriving and he was never to be seen again,,, she married 1918, and if everyone's who we think they are he x remarried 1927,, I think her last child with him was Martin 1912,, if lm right the children after that date were not his children but she named them mulligan,,,, its certainly looking likely

Online eda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi did l read it wrong,, are all the children Inc William and Herbert living at the same address 1921