Author Topic: Help Identifying Coat Of Arms/Heraldry  (Read 276 times)

Offline JosephWalsh1989

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Identifying Coat Of Arms/Heraldry
« on: Wednesday 26 April 23 16:20 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon I hope this message finds you all well. As I know nothing about Heraldry but have an interest in history I'm wondering if you could help me out? I have recently inherited a pocket knife from my grandfather. This was passed to him from my grandmother who in turn inherited it from her mother. The knife belonged to a gentleman named Sam Walker and the only knowledge I have of Sam is that he was a cloth merchant or was involved in Textiles at the later end of the Industrial Revolution and lived in a house at the corner of Stanley Road/Wilmslow Road in Handforth Manchester (A Best Western hotel is now situated on this site, and was formerly the hallmark hotel and The Belfry. Whether the house was named Belfry when Sam occupied there I am unsure. The knife was gifted to my great grandmother for her years of service as a maid at his home, along with a Japanese vase. The knife is intricately carved and features his signature embossed on the back,  with an embossed rose design on the front. However it also features a coat of arms, or what appears to be a coat of arms, though this has faded somewhat.l and was once painted gold on black.  I've tried searching the internet for similar coats of arms but I cannot find anything like it anywhere. I'm wondering if anybody has ever seen this design? Or if there is anyone who can decipher it and tell me what it means. I'm trying my best to research more on Sam and I will post any updates I find. Any help is hugely appreciated as I'm trying to research the history of the knife and of course Sam 'Pops' Walker himself.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying Coat Of Arms/Heraldry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 17:23 BST (UK) »
Is this your manalong with his father John?

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s90/
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline JosephWalsh1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 17:36 BST (UK) »
Is this your manalong with his father John?

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s90/

Unfortunately not. But thank you. Having spoken to my mother it has arisen that my great grandmother was caring for Sam and his wife in the 1920s. I'm unsure of his age at this time but I would assume that he was born in the later 1800s from 1860 onward meaning he would have been born after John's son Sam passed. Having looked at a map of Handforth in the 1920s his property will have been roughly in an area of Outwood Hall and Handforth House. Though neither of these properties remain sadly.

Offline JosephWalsh1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 17:52 BST (UK) »
Also please note I'm aware that the transpiration of dates puts the Sam Walker I am searching for just after the height of the Industrial Revolution, but definitely before the decline of textile mills.

Many Thanks

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 17:57 BST (UK) »
It is a representation of the Vasa coat of arms, which became the arms of Sweden. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Sweden 

The knife could have been a souvenir, or presentation piece to your relative from someone in Sweden.

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline JosephWalsh1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 18:07 BST (UK) »
It is a representation of the Vasa coat of arms, which became the arms of Sweden. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Sweden 

The knife could have been a souvenir, or presentation piece to your relative from someone in Sweden.

Regards 

Chas

Brilliant! Thank You for responding so quickly. 🙏

Offline JosephWalsh1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thank You for your replies.

It would seem I have indeed inherited a Swedish Eka Knife. I've just seen similar to the ones I have been gifted online. As you can tell from the images the knife needs restoration, and given the coat of arms embossed to the front I did not want to remove  the original paintwork if the knife was of any significance. Still a very I teresting piece and clearly has some history, but I'll happily go ahead and restore to its former glory now.

Many thanks for the replies.

Moderators can close post if they wish.

All the best!