Author Topic: Matthew LONG 1804-1878  (Read 594 times)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew LONG 1804-1878
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 April 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
I can find only two children

Sarah Jane baptized 3 November 1830 of 4 Gay's Place Walcot St Swithins

Ann Eliza baptized 1 April 1832 Walcot St Swithins. 
 - There is a burial 8 January 1837 of an Ann Eliza Long aged 5 at the Wesleyan Methodist

It could be her as Matthew, James and Elizabeth were all baptized at the Independent Church
Argyle Chapel Bristol and were of Kalston /(Kelston) Somerset

Kelston is 4 miles from Bath Somerset.

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 April 23 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information about Sarah LONG in America with her daughter - I hadn't picked that up.
I have a copy of a transcription of the baptisms of the Argyle Chapel but can't find Matthew LONG in it although his sister Hester was christened there in 1811 - I would agree that it is possible that he was christened in Bristol which has been suggested.  I think his other siblings James and Elizabeth were baptised in the Penn Street Calvinistic Chapel in Bristol not in the Argyle Chapel in Bath (unless these chapels were in the same circuit and connected in some way).  He's proving quite a mystery - thanks for all your help. 
In the Bath Chronicle of 5th Jan 1837 this announcement was under deaths
"Jan. 1, at her residence, No. 9, Upper Camden place, Anne Eliza, second daughter of Mr. Matthew Long."  perhaps I'm reading too much into the wording but why put "at her residence" and no mention of her mother? She was only 5 years old.
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 April 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
Just naming her father might have been the conventions of the time.

Here is the death of Sarah Long in 1891 - her parents named as Nathaniel Clift and Ann Gay
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FS2K-9VZ

What is Matthew Long’s marital status on his death certificate?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 April 23 16:47 BST (UK) »
There is this entry in Ohio which might be just coincidence given the size of the United States  ;)
Matthew Long, b England, a Cabinet Maker
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXQQ-2FS

He is not with the family in 1860
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCLL-N2J
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 April 23 18:43 BST (UK) »
Their parents were James & Elizabeth LONG who in 1841 were living in Weston, Bath.  .....Would love to know more and where his father, James LONG was born.

This may be James and Elizabeth's marriage on FS: in Bedminster, Somerset (between Bristol and Bath), 23 March1800 - bride is Elizabeth Tovey (given that Matthew was born in 1804 and that they lived in Bath later)
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 April 23 19:10 BST (UK) »
And perhaps James' baptism, also on FS, at Freshford (a few miles southeast of Bath) on 3 August 1760. No father's name given unfortunately.

Or this one in Newton St Loe (between Bath and Bristol), on 9 August 1775 parents James Long and Mary.
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 April 23 22:20 BST (UK) »
Ancestry, transcription 

Matthew Long baptized 1 July 1804 age 11 weeks Portland Square Bristol, Argyle Chapel

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 April 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
You've all given me a lot to think about.  Thank you. 
As neither James LONG nor his wife Elizabeth were born in Somerset (according to 1841 census of Weston, Bath) probably the baptisms in Freshford and Newton St Loe may not be possible.   
I'm interested in the marriage of James LONG and Elizabeth TOVEY at St John the Baptist, Bedminster - I've looked at that before - Both signed their names and their witnesses were John & Mary EDWARDS who were not regular witnesses so may have some connection with the family.
I have sent for a copy of the Will of James LONG from Weston - it's at the Somerset Archives although I doubt it will give any information about his parents.
Not sure how that baptism of Matthew's at St Paul's Church Portland Square, Bristol got to mention Argyle Chapel - I can't see that on the image of the entry. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,