Author Topic: Fletcher Family  (Read 362 times)

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fletcher Family
« on: Thursday 27 April 23 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Brigadier Sir Robert Fletcher died on Mauritius on 24th Dec 1776. Ballinshoe Tower, near Kirriemuir, then passed to one of his brothers.

If Ancestry Trees are correct? James Fletcher (1739 - ) and Thomas Fletcher (1741 - ) had died before Sir Robert. This leaves two possibilities: William Fletcher (1738 - ) and David Fletcher (1742 - ).

Does anyone know who inherited the tower, please?

I gather that the son, of whichever brother it was, sold the tower in 1799, immediately he inherited it from his father.

Thanks,

Gordon

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Fletcher Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 23 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon

According to this, at the time of Robert Fletcher's death in 1776, he only had one remaining brother to whom his estate was passed to. He is referred to as "the daft Laird". Frustratingly unnamed!

See below. Link shrunk fro Google Books (The baronage of Angus and Mearns
By David MacGregor Peter) http://www.rootschat.com/links/01s93/

Added: This is an easier read https://digital.nls.uk/histories-of-scottish-families/archive/94872578?mode=transcription

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 23 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thanks for your reply. I have not seen the piece that you posted before, so thanks for that.

I looked on Scotland's People. It is possible that William Fletcher married and died in Dumfries in late 1798.

Gordon

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 23 17:54 BST (UK) »
His will can be read on Ancestry but with a classic piece of transcribing they have indexed it for Sir Robert Fletcher Knight, confusing the fact that Knight was to show he was a Sir with his surname! The will was proved in August 1777. It can also be downloaded  from the National Archives.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 23 18:19 BST (UK) »
Well found, William!

I was getting confused reading this http://donaldpfox.blogspot.com/2018/10/

Use find and search for 'undesirable companions'.

I think nephew didn't inherit until late 1790s and the death of his father. Convoluted read  ::)

Monica

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 23 19:37 BST (UK) »
I found the will - I couldn't spot the son's name - probably hidden behind the watermarks, so I will have to purchase it!

Gordon

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 April 23 21:27 BST (UK) »
Just been looking at the Ancestry trees you have mentioned.

From this one www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/111548697/person/110094028584/facts

This states it was brother Thomas, Lt Col Fletcher (wife Ann Hunter) who was the brother who inherited his brother's, Sir Robert, estates. Marriage to Ann Hunter in Edinburgh on 22 January 1775. Ann Hunter remarried, Thomas Mylne Esq in 1785 and died in Dundee on 1 July 1852. Her painting by Thomas Gainsborough https://thomasfineart.net/shop/archive/portrait-of-mrs-thomas-fletcher-thomas-gainsborough-r-a/

Thomas' dates are given as 1741 - 1780 (10 Sep 1780 Coromandel Coast, Tamil Nadu, India). If correct, he would have been alive when brother Robert died in 1776.

Robert Jnr, son of Thomas, is showing here as born c. 1777 in Kirriemuir.

Additional note state:

1799 • Ballinshoe, Angus, Scotland

Robert Fletcher sold the estates of Ballinshoe immediately after he inherited them in 1799. He came of age about 1798.

Marriage to Margaret Graham in Edinburgh on 8 June 1801.

There is a last will for Robert Jnr. Can be viewed on Ancestry. Will proved on 2 April 1812 London. He is described on this as Robert Fletcher Esq Late of Balinshoe. Will originally written on 24 March

Also available at TNA https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D207725

Are you registered at the National Archives for an account? As you can see on the link above, it shows that the will is free to order & view if you sign in.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 April 23 21:47 BST (UK) »
This family is convulted!

Adding this for additional info on Thomas, brother to Sir Robert. Quite a read. I had come across a newspaper story on this earlier http://angusfolklore.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-cradle-or-dark-lady-of-logie.html

Monica

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 April 23 07:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica

That's brilliant!

My 3rd gt-grandfather, William Douglas, son of Margeret Douglas, who worked at Ballinshoe, was a shoemaker with the Forfarshire Militia, and then another regiment, that he joined at Newcastle - Upon - Tyne. Gg-grandfather - William Douglas - was born between Berwick and Newcastle and his siblings were all born in London. Charlotte Douglas (3rd gt-grandmother) died in Shoreditch, London and the family returned to Scotland. Margaret's mother was Helen Doig - of the shoemaking Doigs.

Thanks very much for your help.

Gordon