Author Topic: UK (Scotland) - WWI - Identifying soldier - Andrew L. Shearer  (Read 459 times)

Offline ppalla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
UK (Scotland) - WWI - Identifying soldier - Andrew L. Shearer
« on: Friday 28 April 23 11:47 BST (UK) »
Dear Members,

I'm hoping you can assist me. A Medal Roll Index Card for Andrew L Shearer is attached. No additional military records were found. How do I know he's the right person?

I am looking for Andrew Lockhart Shearer, born 2 April 1896 in Wishaw, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire, to Robert Shearer and Barbara Brownlie.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Patrizia

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: UK (Scotland) - WWI - Identifying soldier - Andrew L. Shearer
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 23 13:37 BST (UK) »
You need to try and find the medal roll shown in the reference on the card (RGA 119B). It can be found at the National Archives in WO 329/2571, which should have been digitized by Ancestry, although I am not a subscriber so I can't confirm this. His regimental number was 368105 which may then be of help in finding other service and/or possibly civiilan records. For example he may appear in the absent voters list of the electoral roll for his home address. Have you found your Andrew Shearer in the 1921 Census?

Do you have any other evidence that he was actually in the Army? What about the Navy or a reserved occupation?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 23 14:05 BST (UK) »
Looking on SP - only 2 Andrew L Shearer births.  Andrew Lockhart b 1896 died 1967 and Andrew Linklater b 1885 died 1964

No English births for an Andrew L Shearer
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ppalla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 23 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Andy J2022.

There is a medal roll record, but I couldn't download it because I am no longer active on Ancestry. However, those records do not include birth dates or locations. I have copies of other persons I've looked for before and know what they look like.
I was hoping to find pension records, which normally contain more information.

Yes, I had already found him in the 1921 census. I've actually documented his entire life.

His family knows almost nothing about him. I was hoping to discover more. I need evidence before I can say it's him.

You need to try and find the medal roll shown in the reference on the card (RGA 119B). It can be found at the National Archives in WO 329/2571, which should have been digitized by Ancestry, although I am not a subscriber so I can't confirm this. His regimental number was 368105 which may then be of help in finding other service and/or possibly civiilan records. For example he may appear in the absent voters list of the electoral roll for his home address. Have you found your Andrew Shearer in the 1921 Census?

Do you have any other evidence that he was actually in the Army? What about the Navy or a reserved occupation?

Offline ppalla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 April 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW.

Andrew Lockhart is the one I researched and documented. I wish I could find evidence that the person named on the medal roll is him. However, because the middle name is not specified, it could be either one.

Looking on SP - only 2 Andrew L Shearer births.  Andrew Lockhart b 1896 died 1967 and Andrew Linklater b 1885 died 1964

No English births for an Andrew L Shearer

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 23 14:58 BST (UK) »
Have you checked his marriage in 1916 Cambusnethan to see what it says for occupation

Rosie

Offline ppalla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 23 15:00 BST (UK) »
He was a journeyman engineer.

Have you checked his marriage in 1916 Cambusnethan to see what it says for occupation

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 April 23 16:10 BST (UK) »
I'm not an expert on Army Records but it says the regiment for Andrew L Shearer
Was Royal Garrison Orkney Unit

There is a birth for a Andrew Linklater Shearer 1885 Sanday Orkney ?
Unfortunately there is no service records

Rosie

Offline ppalla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 April 23 16:23 BST (UK) »
The record for the Andrew L Shearer I found listed him as "gunner" in the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Since we can rule out the other one born in Sandy, maybe this one is indeed the individual I have been looking for. (??)