Author Topic: DROXFORD FOREST Clarification  (Read 256 times)

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DROXFORD FOREST Clarification
« on: Friday 28 April 23 13:02 BST (UK) »
I have posted previously reqarding Anthony James Brown/e and received great help.  Information received a while back shows that AJB was living at Droxford Forest according to 1851 Census.  Does that mean he was actually living in the forest?  I see others living there too.  Was Droxford Forest another part of Droxford?
Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e, Hogarth-Scott in UK & Australia, Bauch in Germany

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DROXFORD FOREST Clarification
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 April 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
Droxford appears to be a district with numerous villages and settlements in it. Droxford Forest is referred to on the census form as a hamlet. I haven’t located it on an OS map. It certainly seems unlikely that the people lived in a forest in the sense of living surrounded by trees. It seems to contain some small farms. There is a description of Droxford here:

https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/id/167104/

(page 579 etc)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 23 15:25 BST (UK) »
The word forest can also mean more generally an expanse of uncultivated land. There are a lot of newspaper articles in 1855 about Droxford Forest, an expanse of 1500 acres, being enclosed. I also haven’t found anything on maps.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 23 15:28 BST (UK) »
On the Census form there is Sandy Hill Farm and the Black Horse Inn in Droxford Forest, and a Forest Pottery, on this map:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.3&lat=50.92435&lon=-1.20447&layers=6&b=1

(The farm is below the word “Shedfield”, the inn above, and the pottery a bit further north.)

Suggests that the hamlet may have been in this vicinity.

ADDED: an 1860 newspaper notice confirms that this was the location, in the vicinity of Shedfield and along the road to Bishop’s Waltham.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 April 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
The word forest can also mean more generally an expanse of uncultivated land. There are a lot of newspaper articles in 1855 about Droxford Forest, an expanse of 1500 acres, being enclosed. I also haven’t found anything on maps.
I'd spotted the 1855 newspaper items and began chasing " Droxford Enclosure 1855" or similar. Found mention of "The Inclosure award 9 May 1855" and the The National Archives has "Oxford Enclosure 1855 tracings and maps for the whole award" - docs held at Hampshire Archives.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
Sight of the Tithe maps might deliver but these appear to be available only via a subscription site?

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 23 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone. Thought it worth clarifying as later Anthony James Browne lived near the Forest of Bere and I have vague recollection of a relative of his  being in charge of the King's hunting forests. ;D

Offline hscott21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Re: DROXFORD FOREST Clarification
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 April 23 20:43 BST (UK) »
If of interest....... A quick search reminded me that Anthony James Browne's second wife had a relationship with a Mr Huskisson prior to marrying AJB.  Huskisson was the Deputy Surveyor for the Forest of Bere.

Offline ebonytreasure

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 24 19:34 GMT (UK) »
The Black Horse Inn is now called the Vintage inn, the name has changed several times over the last 30 or so years but wa up until probably 80's still the black horse

I think Droxford Forest looking at the other place names on census docs part of Waltham chase