Author Topic: Alias Names  (Read 1015 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alias Names
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 April 23 09:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I mean the birthdate on that baptism record.

I wondered though, if Elizabeth may have married and John was then baptised as a result.  ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 23 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clearing that up :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 April 23 09:36 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline callyj06

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 April 23 11:37 BST (UK) »
You have the right John. I don't think you can ever be sure of dates back then - records have John born 1812, 1810 and on his death certificate he was allegedly born in 1808.  So guess it could be any time.  Thanks for these thoughts, I will try looking at the John Jordan born to Elizabeth and see where it takes me.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 April 23 15:36 BST (UK) »
I have a family in my tree which kept swopping between two surnames (Wealing and Parrott). I had to go back 2 generations to find where the two names came from. In this case a mary ballard married a Mr Wealing. He died and she had a relationship with another man, which produced a son baptised as John Wealing. Two years later Mary married Richard Parrott, who I suspect was not John's natural father. John's granddaughter  was baptised as a Wealing but married my relative as a Parrott. Took a bit of sorting out.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline callyj06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 April 23 18:32 BST (UK) »
It's very confusing isn't it?  Especially when there are Copps in the family!  I think for some reason, John Jordan has taken on the family name of his Mother in law, as here maiden name was Copp and her father, I think was John Copp.  There was also a John Copp born in Halberton in 1824, staying with a family member in the 1851 census.  I think it's going to take me a while to sort it out.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 April 23 07:28 BST (UK) »
This seems to be the only COPP family (that I can see) directly related to Halberton:

John COPP (b. 1781 Portsmouth Hampshire) Ag lab, dairy man and retired farmer in Halberton census from 1841 to 1861 with wife Elizabeth ELWORTHY (b 1789 Halberton)

John COPP married in 1819 Halberton to Elizabeth ELWORTHY.
Their children baptised Halberton
•   Jane 1820
•   Elizabeth 1822
•   John 1824
•   Henry 1826
•   John James 1828  (edit to correct)
•   Thomas 1832

John COPP was a widower when he married Elizabeth ELWORTHY. He may have had other children from an earlier marriage.

It’s possible that Elizabeth had an illegitimate son, from before she married, with someone named GORDON, who took on his step-father’s name – Copp.

Whoever recorded the baptism of his last few children of John and Charlotte, knew of him as John JORDAN, and that he was using the alias COPP.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 April 23 07:33 BST (UK) »
There was also a John Copp born in Halberton in 1824, staying with a family member in the 1851 census.  I think it's going to take me a while to sort it out.

Could he be the John Copp who was the son of John Copp senior and Elizabeth Ellworthy (previous reply)?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 April 23 07:36 BST (UK) »
There was also a John Copp born in Halberton in 1824, staying with a family member in the 1851 census.  I think it's going to take me a while to sort it out.

Could he be the John Copp who was the son of John Copp senior and Elizabeth Ellworthy (previous reply)?
My same thoughts, LizzieL
To look further, callyj06 would need to post details about the census referred to.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)