Author Topic: Alexander McIntosh, leather worker, born Inverness???  (Read 180 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McIntosh, leather worker, born Inverness???
« on: Friday 28 April 23 16:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me in my search to find out about my 3 x great grandfather Alexander McIntosh.

He married Janet Chisholm at Inveresk 12 Dec. 1853 where he is called a Commercial Traveller.

His only child (as far as I know?), Mary Isabella Chisholm, my 2 x great grandmother, was born 14 Sept., bap. Fisherow, Inveresk, Musselburgh 10 Oct. 1854, daughter of Alexander McIntosh, Book-deliverer.

I only have him with wife and daughter in the 1861 census at 13 Niddry St, Tron Church parish, Canongate, Edinburgh:
Alex. McIntosh   Head   Mar.   35   Leather Merchant   born Inverness
Janet C. McIntosh   Wife   Mar.   34   born Edinburgh
Mary I. McIntosh   Dau   6   Scholar   born Fisherow

He was dead by the 1871 census where Janet Chisholm was living alone a widow, aged 44, a Seed Cleaner at Bottom tenement, High St, Stevensons Close, St Giles parish, Edin.

Mary, the daughter was also living alone aged 16, a Shop Girl, at 74 Rose St, St George's parish, Edin.

However when Mary married James Hill on Leith Walk 2/7/1874, she is called Mary Kilgour McIntosh, daughter. of Alexander McIntosh, Tanner.
I have no idea where the Kilgour came from instead of 'Isabella' and have been unable to find a connection. I have tried variants of McIntosh but cannot find his death cert between 1861-1871.

All I know from the above is that he was born around 1825-26 in Inverness area, worked with leather and was a commercial traveller.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I've also posted this on the Midlothian Rootschat site.

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McIntosh, leather worker, born Inverness???
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 23 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

Yes that's me also. I thought I'd post in both the Midlothian and the Inverness Rootchat sites just incase someone in the Inverness area noticed something familiar I should check on. Alexander McIntosh was born in Inverness according to the 1861 census, but seemingly married, lived, worked in Edinburgh, and presumably died there but I can't for the life of me find his death cert between 1861 and 1871!!! Searched the death records in New Register House many times over the years but can't find it. Also I'd like to find a link to him being born in the Inverness region.

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 23 16:54 BST (UK) »
The problem with posting the same thing twice is that replies are missed so time is spent looking for what others have already found on the other post.  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 April 23 19:20 BST (UK) »
The problem with posting the same thing twice is that replies are missed so time is spent looking for what others have already found on the other post.  :)
Why not close this thread and ask everyone to reply on the other one (or vice versa)? I see there's already quite a lot of information on the duplicate thread.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.