Author Topic: X-DNA and recombination  (Read 232 times)

Offline dtlroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
X-DNA and recombination
« on: Friday 28 April 23 19:17 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether this is the correct forum for my question so please indulge me if it is not.

My understanding (such as it is) of the inheritance of X and Y chromosomes from parents is as follows.

Females inherit one of their mother's two X chromosomes and their father's only X chromosome.

Males inherit the Y chromosome from their father, and one of their mother's two X chromosomes.

My question concerns recombination between the mother's two X chromosomes before one is passed on. Most references I have been able to find on the internet seem to say that, as with Chromosomes 1 - 22, recombination occurs between the mother's X chromosomes before one is passed on to a child. Some references, however, say that recombination MIGHT take place, but might not.

If recombination occurred between the X chromosome which my mother inherited from her mother and the X chromosome which she inherited from her father before she passed one of them on to me, and before she passed one on to my sister, then my sister and I should inevitably have some kind of partial match on the X chromosome.

When I did an X-DNA comparison on GedMatch I was surprised to find that there was no match on the X chromosome - even if I dropped the cM threshold to 3. For clarity I should point out that the results of our autosomnal DNA tests show unequivocally that we are full siblings.

Just to add to my confusion, both my sister and I have a partial X DNA match with our female maternal 1st cousin.

I don't see how this is possible unless there was no recombination before one of our mother's X chromosomes was passed to me and also no recombination before her other X chromosome was passed on to my sister.

Has anyone else found a similar result between full siblings, and does anyone know how frequently this occurs?
Leek - Salford/Radcliffe/Shropshire
Gaut - Shropshire
Harrison - Burntwood Staffordshire
Dutton - Tarporley, Cheshire
Hayes - Forton/Preston
Corbett - Coleshill
Wareing - Forton, Woodplumpton Lancashire
Bonser - Leicestershire
Hughes - Amlwch, Rhosybol, Parys Mountain, Cauldon Lowe
Williams - Amlwch
Thomas - Llaneilian, Llanwenllwyfo
Dodd - Shropshire

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: X-DNA and recombination
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 12:00 BST (UK) »
I honestly haven't really looked into this yet, probably as I didn't see it could help me with any particular mystery (also given my doubts about GEDMATCH matching for smaller matches), but these videos from Family History Fanatics may be of use :)

X-DNA: What is the minimum reliable cM to research?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvoTcp6Pa-g

XDNA- Should you use it to build your tree?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl2pJrLwbVU

XDNA: How much do siblings share?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YYMDQ8G2s

Offline dtlroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks melba-schmelba (love the name!). I will take a look at these. I agree with what you say on small matches - I just reduced the threshold in this case because I was surprised to find no match at the default. I get the impression that there is no consensus on my question amongst the experts, and that it hasn’t been researched much.
Gaut - Shropshire
Hayes - Forton/Preston
Corbett - Coleshill
Bonser - Leicestershire
Williams - Amlwch
Dodd - Shropshire

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 15:03 BST (UK) »
Do read up on the testing process, my go to reading is the Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing.

The X chromosome is relatively large at 150M base pairs whereas chromosome 7 has 157M yet c7 has twice the SNPs tested as the X chromosome hence inaccuracies in the test results can give misleading results as can Threshold values less than 10cM which can lead to false positives.

The reading that I have done indicates that in itself X DNA cannot be used itself to ID relationships accurately.

Offline dtlroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Biggles50.
Gaut - Shropshire
Hayes - Forton/Preston
Corbett - Coleshill
Bonser - Leicestershire
Williams - Amlwch
Dodd - Shropshire

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 17:40 BST (UK) »
Do read up on the testing process, my go to reading is the Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing.

The X chromosome is relatively large at 150M base pairs whereas chromosome 7 has 157M yet c7 has twice the SNPs tested as the X chromosome hence inaccuracies in the test results can give misleading results as can Threshold values less than 10cM which can lead to false positives.

The reading that I have done indicates that in itself X DNA cannot be used itself to ID relationships accurately.
That reminds me that there is quite a big variation in the amount of X Chromosome SNPs tested between the different companies :), to summarize:

23andme: 16,530
FTDNA Family Finder: 16,271
Ancestry DNA: 28,892 (and a few more possibles, see chart)
MyHeritage: 29,694
Living DNA: 15,028

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart