Author Topic: Longest segments in dna  (Read 908 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Longest segments in dna
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 May 23 18:18 BST (UK) »
I just had a large count pop up as a new match

The name is my mums maiden name so I can assign this person to her line

My only issue is exactly who it might be . 2 people share the name and I am not close with them

It comes up with 961cm over 37 segments with 14% shared dna

Person 1 - my most likely - is the son of my mothers cousin. Now some context

My grandparents and his grandparents are brother and sisters ie 2 brothers married 2 sisters

Would this explain the high count or do I need to look at my mothers brothers child ie a true 1st cousin ( who I have never met and could walk past on the street)

Sorry to hijack but it seemed timely and convenient
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 May 23 18:40 BST (UK) »

My only issue is exactly who it might be . 2 people share the name and I am not close with them

My grandparents and his grandparents are brother and sisters ie 2 brothers married 2 sisters

Would this explain the high count or do I need to look at my mothers brothers child ie a true 1st cousin ( who I have never met and could walk past on the street)

If I understand correctly, your grandfather's brother married your grandmother's sister, and the person you think might be the match is their grandson. If so, you and the match have common ancestors with both your grandfather's parents and your grandmother's parents.

If that is so, then I think it is indeed the case that the "double" pair of common ancestors would indeed give a high count of shared DNA for the relevant relationship.

Put another way, your mother's first cousin is your second cousin, with whom you would normally share 2 great-grandparents, but in this case because your grandfather and great uncle married sisters, you share 4 great-grandparents. It would therefore seem entirely plausible that you would also have inherited more shared DNA.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 May 23 18:49 BST (UK) »

Admittedly, I do not know of anyone who is a double 2nd cousin on DNA, but personally 961cM would seem a little high to me. For half 1st cousins, the highest two I have are in the 450-550cM range. I would feel it may likely be more in the range of a 1/2 1st cousin than a full 1st cousin. But perhaps someone has some real world examples of double 2nd cousins to add?

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 May 23 01:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you to both for your replies

This person is my highest match by far.  My next best is a great grandparent descendant match at 544cm

I have sent them a message so hopefully there is a response

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 May 23 04:45 BST (UK) »
Just had a message back

Its the 2nd person. My mums brothers son - so a direct 1st cousin

Again thank you all

Scott, Cronin

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 May 23 10:53 BST (UK) »
Just had a message back

Its the 2nd person. My mums brothers son - so a direct 1st cousin

Again thank you all
Ah, I guessed right :). I hope the connection goes well for you.

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 May 23 11:31 BST (UK) »
Good morning everyone thank you for all the info you guys have added to my original question ie :- longest segment count? Now all but one person are son's of 1st cousins the other 1st cousins daughter.
When l checked Myheritage longest segments are lowest 41.2 highest 124..9
One comes up as 2nd cousin which is incorrect.
Ancestry does show lower counts but only two to compare and not sure how to see length of segment on there.
I won't get everyone bogged down with all counts just wanted to thank everyone -also to let you know these 1st cousins children are from my grandfather and grandmother's other relationships partners.
I never knew of them before having had my dna test - I'm so de!lighted with this outcome
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland