Author Topic: DOROTHY NAYLOR of Well and/or Snape  (Read 226 times)

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DOROTHY NAYLOR of Well and/or Snape
« on: Saturday 29 April 23 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Although I'm heading up to Northallerton next week, it would save me some time if somebody would be kind enough to do a look-up for the possible death of Dorothy Naylor. A child Jane was born in 1828 in the parish of either Well or Snape. After this date, Dorothy disappears from the records I have been able to consult - mainly the census records. I think that she might have passed away some time between 1828 and 1841. It would be much appreciated if someone could have a look for her burial record at Well or Snape or an adjoining parish. Her maiden name was Hewson.  :)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DOROTHY NAYLOR of Well and/or Snape
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 23 16:24 BST (UK) »
Here is a list of children born to a William & Dorothy Naylor in Yorkshire around this time:

September 3rd, 1826 in Well, Yorkshire: James, son of William & Dorothy Naylor, abode: Well, father's occupation: mason.

August 6th, 1828 in Well, Yorkshire: Jane, daughter of William & Dorothy Naylor, abode: Nelson by, father's occupation: stone mason.

March 21st, 1830 in Kirkby Ravensworth, Yorkshire: George, son of William & Dorothy Naylor, abode: Gayles, father's occupation: quarry-mason.

The father's occupation matches, so it looks like Dorothy was last seen in 1830 in Kirkby Ravensworth?

I can see that in 1841, James is an apprentice whitesmith to Robert Hewson (brother of Dorothy) and is residing with him and his wife, Jane. No other siblings present.

I'm not having much luck trying to find the other children or their father in 1841. It would be good to see where he was living, as it may provide a clue as to where Dorothy was buried.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DOROTHY NAYLOR of Well and/or Snape
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 23 18:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your efforts so far. There's very little information to add and I am aware of the lack of census information. The family seemed to be moving around quite a lot, probably chasing employment.