Author Topic: Tew family, possibly Irish workers living in the ‘Dublin Barracks’ near Ardross  (Read 417 times)

Offline Lynne Gallop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am researching Mary Ann TEW, born in Dublin in 1846, daughter of George and Sarah TEW ( née McDonnell). George was the son of an attorney (also George) who worked and lived in Dublin, Ireland.
Mary Ann’s death certificate states that she was born in Dublin, Ireland however I have never been able to find records of her birth, or any records for her parents in Ireland. Her burial records however indicate that she was born in Dublin, Scotland!
I recently discovered that when Ardross Castle (Scotland)was being built, many Irish labourers were employed there. Barracks were built nearby in an area named after their homeland, ie: the ‘Dublin Barracks’. This small community is apparently still known as Dublin, and it seems very plausible that this may be where ‘my’ Mary Ann TEW may have been born, despite her family being Irish.
I have not been able to find any record of her birth in Scotland either.
The family emigrated to New Zealand in the mid 1800’s. I have been unable to find any other children of George and Sarah TEW. George died in 1894 in Nelson, NZ and Sarah died in the Nelson Lunatic Asylum in 1882. Mary Ann went on to marry Charles Wicks SCOTT and lived on the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand until her death.
Any information greatly accepted, particularly about the Dublin Barracks and the people who lived there, and also the TEW/ McDONNELL families.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
If by 'attorney' you mean a lawyer, why would he be living in a barracks built for Irish labourers, I wonder?

There is a Dublin in the parish of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire and  North, Mid and South Dublin in the parish of Bressay in Shetland.

Have you looked at the Roman Catholic baptisms at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Hi Lynne

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There are these NZ Burial and Cemetery details for Mary Ann which show simply Dublin. Is there another records that mentions Scotland?

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
If you are looking at Ireland, it is likely best to ask for help on the Irish boards here on RC.

For example, this is the specific board for Dublin www.rootschat.com/forum/dublin/

This is a great site to check on Irish BMDs including some parish register entries

I saw this marriage entry https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=d-511-3-1-002 and wondered whether the father George here could connect to your George's father? Maybe also instead of having the occupation of solicitor/attorney, he could also show as clerk?

Main link here www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Monica

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
A likely relative here - brother to George
The 1846 marriage of Charles Tew - son of George, a clerk
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1846/09308/5370211.pdf

2nd marriage 1852 - son of George, Solicitor
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1852/09429/5415785.pdf

And Monica has the church record  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What is this, heywood? A parish entry for the second marriage? https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st.michans_mf_1856-1888_ma_0314

This gives Charles' parents as George and Anne, both deceased at the time of the marriage.

Monica

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Yes it is - the first marriage was in the Registry Office and it looks as though a few years later they had a Catholic marriage.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Found this Ancestry family tree www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/53363666/person/26056550495/facts

Gives George's mother as Anna Maria Letitia Bolton.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
From 1837, the death of George Snr at the age of 80. www.limerickcity.ie/media/10 21 37.pdf

He showed at this address with his son George in a number of Dublin directories in the 1830s. George Jnr's occupation in the directories given as Wine Merchant.

Mention of George Jnr's death in 1894 here https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TC18940806.2.14

I wonder if a shipping manifest is available from the "Oliver Lang" that arrived with the Tews in NZ in 1856?

Added: Family tree linked shows:
9 Dec 1856
Arr Wellington, New Zealand then onto Nelson by 20 Jan 1857
Ship: Oliver Lang (dep Liverpool 24 Sep 1856)

Monica