Author Topic: Tew family, possibly Irish workers living in the ‘Dublin Barracks’ near Ardross  (Read 416 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Will of Charles Gaspard Tew proved by Ann Letitia Tew, spinster
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sb1/

This name links to George’s mother so very likely that Charles and George were brothers.

Marriage of Annie Tew - father Charles G Tew
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1889/10742/5916974.pdf

There are catholic baptisms for children of Charles and Mary Phelan.

Unfortunately though, I can’t find records for George and Sarah.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lynne Gallop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Lynne

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There are these NZ Burial and Cemetery details for Mary Ann which show simply Dublin. Is there another records that mentions Scotland?

Hi Monica,
The local Council who operate the cemetery where Mary Ann is buried shows her nationality as Scottish. Also on these same records, it is recorded as follows: Dublin(on stone) Scotland.
The inscription on the grave stone has that she was born in Dublin, but no country!

Offline Lynne Gallop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
If by 'attorney' you mean a lawyer, why would he be living in a barracks built for Irish labourers, I wonder?

There is a Dublin in the parish of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire and  North, Mid and South Dublin in the parish of Bressay in Shetland.

Have you looked at the Roman Catholic baptisms at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

Hi Forfarian,
The George Tew who is listed as “attorney” is the father of George Tew who married Sarah McDonnell. George Jnr was listed as a wine merchant whilst in Ireland, then later a farmer following his emigration to New Zealand.
Thank you for the information re other ‘Dublin’ settlements in the UK.

Offline Lynne Gallop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone, there are some new leads here for me to follow.

Offline Lynne Gallop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George’s obituary in a Nelson, New Zealand newspaper indicates that he immigrated on “The Oliver Lang” in 1856, however he does not appear on any passenger lists for this voyage as far as I can tell. Also, he appears on the electoral roll in Nelson, NZ in 1843, occupation is listed as wine merchant, so this is another mystery!