Author Topic: Andrew Moore and Francis Despard,both R.I.C.  (Read 742 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Moore and Francis Despard,both R.I.C.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 April 23 11:02 BST (UK) »
He married 6th July 1875 (there is an annotation to the date that I can't interpret), and his wife was from Wicklow.

According to aghadowey's marriage image in reply #4, they were married on 6 February 1875 at Powerscourt Parish Church, Co Wicklow.

**Added**
Eldest child Alice Louisa born 29 November 1875 in Dublin.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03081/2129534.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 April 23 19:00 BST (UK) »
Head Constable should not be confused with the modern rank of Chief Constable (normally the head of a force). Head Constable was a rank between Sergeant and Inspector – there’s no modern equivalent – but was a senior rank in those days. There was normally just 1 Inspector per county in Ireland in the 1800s.

Not quite so.
The IC/RIC had four (4) different ranks of inspector, namely county inspector, and three classes of district inspectors. There were multiple inspectors per county, but typically only one county inspector.

Head Constable was not a high rank at all -  not an officer rank. As the name implies, it was still the rank of a constable, though the most senior. The equivalent of a sergeant major or senior sergeant in the army.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 April 23 19:05 BST (UK) »
Other police records available at FindMyPast indicate that Francis Despard (serviced number 23520) was appointed at the age of 18 in Kildare, which was his native county. He was a labourer at the time of his appointment, and a Protestant. He married 6th July 1875 (there is an annotation to the date that I can't interpret), and his wife was from Wicklow. His first allocation was to Limerick, 12 Nov 1858. He became a Head Constable 1/11/1885, pensioned 10/8/1900.

On the marriage registration posted by Aghadowey, reply #4, Mr Despard's rank was given as "gent", the son of a "gent" - a far cry from a laborer.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 April 23 19:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is any connexion between this Despard family and the infamous traitor, Colonel Despard, who was sentenced to be hung, drawn and quartered for his activities as a United Irishman and United Briton. Hanged, etc. in London in 1803.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 April 23 21:21 BST (UK) »
Francis Despard's father's probate
from The National Archives of Ireland via Ancestry

DESPARD Philip Robert Adam
26 September 1876
Effects under £300
The Will of Philip Robert Adam Despard late of 39 Old Kilmainham Dublin Grocer deceased who died 20 February 1876 at same place was proved at the Principal Registry by the oath of Francis Samuel Despard Constable Royal Irish Constabulary Phoenix Park Dublin the sole Executor.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 April 23 21:30 BST (UK) »
Francis Despard's father's probate
from The National Archives of Ireland via Ancestry

DESPARD Philip Robert Adam
26 September 1876
Effects under £300
The Will of Philip Robert Adam Despard late of 39 Old Kilmainham Dublin Grocer deceased who died 20 February 1876 at same place was proved at the Principal Registry by the oath of Francis Samuel Despard Constable Royal Irish Constabulary Phoenix Park Dublin the sole Executor.

No need to appeal to Ancestry, the NAI original is freely viewable online.
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014892/005014892_00103.pdf

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 April 23 21:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, I didn't express myself clearly. The entry was accessed at NAI but I discovered it at Ancestry who provided the link. I'm only just now learning about Irish Records.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 April 23 21:34 BST (UK) »
In 1851 the Despard family is living on the Isle of Man:

Philip R A Despard 45 Annuitant, Ireland
Anna Despard 30, Ireland
Philip R Despard 13, USA
Francis S, 10, Ireland
Louisa 7, Isle of Man
Laetitia C, 5, Isle of Man
Anna, 2, Isle of Man
(plus two visitors)