Author Topic: John and Sarah Rosser  (Read 725 times)

Offline who_am_i?

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and Sarah Rosser
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 May 23 06:17 BST (UK) »
It appears that Ann Rosser married a Thomas Richards in 1842 (address still Sergeant Street, father John Rosser carpenter.) In the 1851, 61 and 71 censuses they're in Bedminster  and her birthplace is given as Pembroke or Pembrokeshire.  In 1881 she's shown as from Taunton and her husband from Pembroke, which is presumably an accidental switch.

So it seems very likely that the Martha that Trish found in 1813 is from the same family, and that they lived in Pembrokeshire for several years. Other possible children are John in 1817 and Benjamin in 1822, baptised at Cosheston. There was a marriage of John Rosser and Sarah Davies in 1812 at St Petrox, Pembrokeshire.

David

Yes, it seems like the family moved from Pembrokeshire to Bedminster 1822-26

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 May 23 05:31 BST (UK) »
Quote;
Yes, it seems like the family moved from Pembrokeshire to Bedminster 1822-26

Yes I Think we can be safe in that assumption.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 May 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
The John Rosser who was apprenticed to a shipwright in Bristol in 1784 appears to have died between 1788 and 1790, after his father wrote his will but before his father died. His family came from the Forest of Dean. So it is quite likely that the other John Rosser is unconnected and was native to Pembrokeshire.

David

Offline who_am_i?

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 May 23 23:19 BST (UK) »
The John Rosser who was apprenticed to a shipwright in Bristol in 1784 appears to have died between 1788 and 1790, after his father wrote his will but before his father died. His family came from the Forest of Dean. So it is quite likely that the other John Rosser is unconnected and was native to Pembrokeshire.

David

Thanks David