Author Topic: Franz Schmidt where buried?  (Read 359 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
Franz Schmidt where buried?
« on: Monday 01 May 23 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out where a man named Franz (alt spelt: Frank) Schmidt (alt spelt: Schmitt, Shmidt) was buried. Franz was born approx 1835 and died aged 29. He came to Lyttelton, NZ on board the ship British Empire which arrived at Lyttelton Harbour September 6th, 1864.https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ourstuff/genealogy/BritishEmpire1864.htm

Franz is not mentioned in the ship's passenger list, so I am assuming he was a cabin passenger. Upon his arrival Franz was taken to Lyttelton Hospital. According to his death certificate he died while in hospital September 12th, 1864 and a funeral was conducted for him the very next day at 4pm.

A fellow cabin passenger, Ellen Gale Cribb, died the same day as Franz and was buried at Barbadoes Street Cemetery, Christchurch.

I have checked with the Christchurch Library which confirmed he died in hospital - but no indication of where he was buried. Just as an educated guess I'm thinking one of the Lyttelton public cemeteries?

I realise I probably won't find his burial certificate - maybe his burial went unrecorded?

So I would just like your opinion - is my assumption fair?
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Franz Schmidt where buried?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 23 08:51 BST (UK) »

Franz is not mentioned in the ship's passenger list, so I am assuming he was a cabin passenger. Upon his arrival Franz was taken to Lyttelton Hospital. According to his death certificate he died while in hospital September 12th, 1864 and a funeral was conducted for him the very next day at 4pm.

A fellow cabin passenger, Ellen Gale Cribb, died the same day as Franz and was buried at Barbadoes Street Cemetery, Christchurch.

On the ships passenger list which you have supplied in your other thread. https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ourstuff/genealogy/BritishEmpire1864.htm the first listed are Saloon passengers.

I think these are the “highest” echelon in this case. There is not a separate or unlisted group.

I do not see any name resembling Franz SCHMIDT in that class or any other.

The journal mentions many of the Saloon passengers by name, Grierson, White, Dalmain and Briton and Monk and Prince and Tennant and Speechly

It is frequently mentioned that these people and their families are in cabins and there is an ongoing quarrel about the Grierson family and their many children monopolizing the one bath so others of the saloon class are disadvantaged,   The quarrel rumbles on for weeks. :o

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 23 23:40 BST (UK) »
Just as a final conclusion to Franz Schmidt - he was buried at the Holy Trinity Church in Lyttelton September 13th, 1864.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 23 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley

You've found his burial place .. that's great !!!     ;)

*   Would you mind sharing with us > because both you and others have similar enquiries from time to time for Canterbury region >  exactly how you eventually came by this Lyttelton Cemetery information  ???

That may help us to help you and others in the future too.   ;D

[I had done a quick search through records for Lyttelton Cemetery > nothing found for SCHMIDT (or variant).   At Barbadoes Street Cemetery, there was a "Francis"  (Frank ?) buried in adjacent plot to Ellen CRIBB but this proved to be Francis FOWERAKER, infant son of steerage passengers. ]

I understand there is a (separate) burial register for Lyttelton Anglican Cemetery - Holy Trinity church (my g/g/grandparents are there) but that this register is only available at ChCh Library Heritage centre ???

Grateful if you can comment further and let us know ?     Thanks.

~   Lu

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 23 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Hi, Just a note that Ellen CRIBB was actually a Steerage passenger according to the list you have linked.
I wonder if Franz was part of the ship's crew.

Anyhow it looks as if you have found an answer to your query. Good news.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley

You've found his burial place .. that's great !!!     ;)

*   Would you mind sharing with us > because both you and others have similar enquiries from time to time for Canterbury region >  exactly how you eventually came by this Lyttelton Cemetery information  ???

That may help us to help you and others in the future too.   ;D

[I had done a quick search through records for Lyttelton Cemetery > nothing found for SCHMIDT (or variant).   At Barbadoes Street Cemetery, there was a "Francis"  (Frank ?) buried in adjacent plot to Ellen CRIBB but this proved to be Francis FOWERAKER, infant son of steerage passengers. ]

I understand there is a (separate) burial register for Lyttelton Anglican Cemetery - Holy Trinity church (my g/g/grandparents are there) but that this register is only available at ChCh Library Heritage centre ???

Grateful if you can comment further and let us know ?     Thanks.

~   Lu
His name had various spellings. On Paperspast Frank Schmitt - which was where an article about a funeral for him on the 13th September. At the ChCh Library there was a register of his death under his name Franz Schmidt which the Register on the card had the letters "HTL" standing for Holy Trinity Lyttelton. He was had a death certificate which lists his death as September 12th.

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 05:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update, Ashley.     ;)