Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 7th May  (Read 2827 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 7th May
« on: Monday 01 May 23 11:04 BST (UK) »
Happy May day folks

After quite a warm day yesterday where I chose to wear factor 50 today is quite the reverse,  dull and I feel quite cold, no need for factor 50 today or any come to that.

Very boring  but I was going to do the curtain and window round stating today, can't do them all on the same day  now,  takes me a couple  of days but I want a bright day, tomorrow is another day

Hope everyone is feeling  bright today

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 7th May
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 23 12:03 BST (UK) »
I'm glad that you had a good time at Herne Bay recently LM.
It is quite warm today, but there are some grey clouds hinting that it may rain later.
I'm off today but I will not be doing anything special for Bank Holiday - too exhausted.  I've just been to Aldi which was quite busy and got some good deals.
I'm feeling very fatigued from two 12 hour shifts at the weekend; no Church yesterday.  After Saturday's shift my first bus home didn't come for 45 minutes.  By the time I got home on second bus I felt like I could sleep standing up as walked down the street in the dark and rain. 
Tomorrow's shift will be an early so I'll try and get an early night tonight as I'll need to be up at crack of dawn.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
Just thought I’d pop in to say hello! It’s been a while although I do read posts on most days.

Glad you had a good day out LM… but as you say tomorrow is another day! Curtain washing is not for the feint hearted.. good luck!

RTL - I feel exhausted just thinking about the times you do and the lengths of your shift even without the travel! You’re a one woman marvel I have to say. Hope you have a restful day today before your early start!

Not long now until Mass Observation Day… can’t believe how quickly it comes round.. my S-I-L birthday so I don’t forget!
He ran in the London marathon last Sunday with a time of 3:57 was very pleased as he’d not done any training for 8 wks due to an ongoing Achilles problem. He’s raised just under £2,000 for Hospice Uk. Grandsons very proud of their Dad!

This w/e has been mixed weather wise… boiling hot day on Saturday when we went with friends to the East Midlands Steam & Country Show… just down the road for us and a nice day out… lots old classic cars and bikes too.
Yesterday in the garden and today it’s been raining but now the suns out so more to do!

It’s hard to believe that we’re into another month and nearly half way through the year… oh for some warm weather …
Even had our log burner on a couple of evenings last week!

Hope everyone is keeping well and looking forward to summer.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 23 12:33 BST (UK) »
The heavens opened here during the hours of darkness.  Somehow the rain damaged the TV aerial and now I am surrounded by an eerie silence instead of having the company of sound from my TV.

The deluge of rain meant that the old integral lead lined stone guttering couldn't cope which resulted in gallons of water pouring into what used to be my late OHs study/keep fit room.  there'/s now a lake under the floorboards of two rooms.

I've just checked the date and discovered that it isn't Friday 13th - so what happened to the old custom of "March roars in like a lion and goes out like a lamb and then there's April showers - not May deluge??

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 23 18:18 BST (UK) »
Well we’ve had temps of 17c and then we’ve had rain and now I have the central heating on! I did manage to get the grass cut finally though so I’m pleased. Bank holidays don’t feel the same anymore - tv just seems to have the usual Monday programmes on apart from a shorter version of the news.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 May 23 19:07 BST (UK) »
I agree about bank Holidays but we are both retired so it isn't a day off.

Mixed weather today, it did rain at lunch time  washing  came in and stayed in,  hoping for a better wash day tomorrow

Yes, I also admire  RTL   for her long hours and on top of that travel time.

Building  up towards the coronation, still very quiet here, no street parties as far as I know.

Take care

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 23 22:06 BST (UK) »
It’s good to hread everyone’s news - the good and the not so good.

Nice that you’ve popped in again Caroline. Like you I read most posts but only pop in now and then to comment. I’m glad you’re here actually, as I wouldn’t mind some thoughts from you and Viktoria and with your cook’s hats on.

Coronation Quiche. I was planning on making the “official” one:
https://www.royal.uk/the-coronation-quiche

Googling just now I note that there are all sorts of variations around - well they’re just general quiche recipes but called “Coronation” quiche.  ::)

Questions:

Do you think that two eggs sounds right? I’ve never made quiche but in other eggy dishes I’d use many more than two.

I’ve never made pastry with lard either - does that pastry recipe sound right to you?

Opinions and suggestions for adjustments most welcome from anyone who knows about these things.

My bunting is up and flags out, and I have planted up some red white and blue flower pots.

With our time difference I'm hoping to be able to see at least some of the ceremony live. (Sadly possibly conflicting time wise with the F1 Grand Prix in Miami USA)

It’s quite exciting.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 23 22:06 BST (UK) »

Nice that you’ve popped in again Caroline. Like you I read most posts but only pop in now and then to comment. I’m glad you’re here actually, as I wouldn’t mind some thoughts from you and Viktoria with your cook’s hats on.

Googling just now I note that there are all sorts of variations around - well they’re just general quiche recipes but called “Coronation” quiche.  ::)

Questions:

Do you think that two eggs sounds right? I’ve never made quiche but in other eggy dishes I’d use many more than two.

I’ve never made pastry with lard either - does that pastry recipe sound right to you?

Opinions and suggestions for adjustments most welcome from anyone who knows about these things.

My bunting is up and flags out, and I have planted up some red white and blue flower pots.

With our time difference I'm hoping to be able to see at least some of the ceremony live. (Sadly possibly conflicting time wise with the F1 Grand Prix in Miami USA)

The Coroantion is going to be quite exciting. I hope everyone behaves themselves.  :)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 00:02 BST (UK) »

Nice that you’ve popped in again Caroline. Like you I read most posts but only pop in now and then to comment. I’m glad you’re here actually, as I wouldn’t mind some thoughts from you and Viktoria with your cook’s hats on.

Questions:

The Coroantion is going to be quite exciting. I hope everyone behaves themselves.  :)

Nice of you to ask Ruskie… here are my responses to you queries ( I’m sure Viktoria’s may vary from mine)

1) No, 2 eggs doesn’t sound enough to me… I usually use either 3 large or 4 medium with that quantity of liquid… just looked at the recipe and I’d never use cream .. I use half fat creme fraiche as it not as rich and healthier and works just as well.

2) my own pastry is woeful ..unless it’s a sweet pastry… so I’m afraid I buy ready rolled short pastry or in a block ( just roll is excellent brand if you can get it) but if you’re good at making pastry just make it how you woukd normally.

Personally I’m not sure I fancy one with spinach, Broad beans and tarragon but who knows it may taste ok!

For the Queens Jubilee there was a competition for a suitable dish and the winner was the trifle - I made one and you can look up the recipe online… there’s a similar competition for the Coronation with the results tomorrow… run by Mary Berry.. I’ll be interested to see what wins as most of the entries were for Asian dishes and only one that I’d call typically British ..

Hope that answers your queries!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK