Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 7th May  (Read 2825 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 7th May
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 May 23 20:34 BST (UK) »
That was a good job done then Candleflame,  I know if we have ours done the
 floorboards and walls  will by affected, a big job I reckon , don't think my husband can cope with it

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 May 23 00:38 BST (UK) »
I have just found all the foregoing posts!
I am not getting notification for some reason and gave to register in very frequently—— iis someone trying to tell me something ——— ???

Sorry to read of the problems some are having ,it makes you wonder if the trade magazines and local trades registers are of any use at all.
One big local firm of roofers are absolute rubbish , people warn you off !

I use an Australian recipe for quiches ,trouble  is all measurements are in cups ,it depends on how much milk is stated,two eggs for half a pint of milk milk seems not enough .
Quiche Lorraine used three eggs to a quarter of a pint of milk,plus a quarter of a pint of single cream ,so three eggs to half a pint of liquid.

I don’t fancy the Coronation quiche at all.
I love Coronation chicken from 1953 when mayonnaise was barely known in The U.K.
Put out a red ,white and blue hanging basket this early evening then the heavens opened!l
Can’t fly flag just yet as son works on the computers for work    in the bedroom from which window it will be flown .
But it must go up tomorrow.

Not such good weather for Saturday is it.
What pageantry and ceremony ,we do do these things the best in the world.
Had a “ discussion with a non Royalist,who stated their case .
I reminded them of the foibles and shortcomings of other people.
Presidents of Republics !
Kennedies, Mao Tse Tung , Marcos, Nixon, Putin ,  .Stalin ,,Mussolini,Hitler ,
Idi Amin, Franco, Peron, PapaDoc, Cauchescou, Gaddafi,Ayatollah Khomeni etc  etc etc .
We are better off as we are.
Prince Charles as he was ,is up there with David Attenborough re climate change etc.

I have to make a couple of dozen chesses and herb scones and a lemon drizzle traybake for the Jacob’s Feast after Church on Sunday.
Well very late and I am in bed but must check that I turned the gas fire off !
Night night.
Viktoria.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 May 23 06:03 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, as you were the final contributor for last week it would explain no replies/notifications from that thread, so just need to watch out for each new one on Stay Safe board or in feed as the weeks go by.

Can't really say it's been as slow as a wet week, we are though having a slow moving 'atmospheric river' through NZ with a front from the tropics and with high pressure systems either side influencing that too, quite warm for May. With forecast on watch for heavy rains, some already saturated have had too much more and dealing with slips etc, so lucky for us in our locality really as much of it has passed us by down the coast to the west or across to east. Strong winds at times bringing down quite a big branch and whipping off some foliage but long enough dry periods to get washing dry and have walks etc.

Roads are looking cleared again for our trip north for weekend, family gathering for youngest granddaughter's 1st birthday. Daughter also though on watch as miss 8 has been in close contact with Covid again, her dance teacher let everyone know midweek after the session Monday night. He's quite sick with it and for 2nd time, had a rough 1st episode as well. A bit concerned for how granddaughter might cope this time if does test positive, she was so good end of November isolating so long, also during her mum's birthday and we just visited outside briefly for that. Because it wasn't quite 6 months since then, not quite eligible for her booster vaccination a fortnight ago when her mum and dad has theirs same time as us, so here's hoping all OK, she'll be 9 end of  May.

So much to keep occupied with at home, delivered a couple of  school beanies Tuesday I had completed over several weeks doing a bit here and there in evenings, others prolific with their donations of various garments and blankets etc. Skipped the lunch get-together after group this time but a good walk to session and back. Submissions in Wednesday for an exhibition, entered just 2 pieces being 1 example of each method and also photos of process with group as  my contribution.

Had  my coronation yesterday  :D with new crown fitted at dentist. Must say the emporiums etc about here have missed a sales opportunity with small Union Jack flags and bunting etc as nothing available in any of the many I've looked in over the past month or so. As we'll be with the grandchildren, will be all wearing plastic crowns and hopefully making it a bit more of a memory for them of an historical event. Husband has just arrived home with a couple of little souvenir toothpick/cocktail sticks and some serviettes, spotted in a staff room on a site he visited this morning and commented on them, told brought back selection from a recent trip to London and they happily gave him those few. One of the big department stores he visited has also done up a nice display for the occasion with replicas of the regalia purchased from a London jeweller in 1977.

So long since I've made a quiche, have the ingredients and so may take one up with us if I get one made before we go. Have done the 'impossible' recipe in the past a few times, Nanna and that's a good one to skip the pastry process.

Hear you re having confidence in booking reliable and capable tradesmen for any maintenance around home, good luck with that and happy weekend all.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 05 May 23 08:23 BST (UK) »
Where I live I am the only one who has  any decoration out, just a row of flags and  a larger one with the king on it, I spoke to a friend  who is a staunch royalist, she won't be watching the coronation,  gave me her reasons which I won't put on here, which I respect,  I am wondering if  many people think like she does, I will add before anyone  critisises me we all have the right to our own opinions.
The atmosphere here  is nothing like it  has been in the  past for any royal celebrations, I love the pageantry,  if people don't want to watch the actual service and enjoy everything else then they can turn their TV  off, me, I will  be glued to the TV on Saturday for however long it takes.
Mare, Covid is still lurking around , I am off today for my booster., have a feeling  it won't go away easily.
Hope you sort your lack of messages out Viktoria, we miss your cheery messages
Take care everyone and enjoy the weekend.

LM.

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 05 May 23 10:12 BST (UK) »
I am persisting with the quiche recipe as is. Thanks for letting us know the proportions of eggs to liquid you use Viktoria. I am “winging it” slightly and am adding a few more broad beans than the recipe specifies. I have done some prepping and made the pastry already and put it in the fridge (at least 24 hours ahead of time) as I won’t have time to do it all on the day. Please don’t tell me that is too far ahead Viktoria. I felt the mix was a bit dry so added more milk.

There is absolutely nothing Coronation related in the shops here unfortunately. We have had to buy online or from the UK.

I will be watching the Coronation on TV Saturday night our time.  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 May 23 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hello all....I haven't dropped in for months, (been very pushed,) but I am sitting with my hands in my lap at present, so I wanted to wish all chums a good weekend, however you wish to spend it.
Good to see Rena's rain disaster is being sorted, and that everyone is coping as usual.
RTL you are a hero!!

Personally, I do feel broad beans in a quiche is a step too far, but of course in the UK we were still on food rations in 1953, and I assume the original recipe has much to do with that fact.
Many people have commented to me that there doesn't seem to be much atmosphere revving up for the coming weekend.... Winchester for example was humming for the jubilee last year, but as of last week, nothing at all for the upcoming ceremony.
Soon I shall be leaving to catch an internal flight up North to meet a group of internet chums at a National Trust Property.... a potentially dodgy concept I know, but it is a way of making the date stand out for me.  I am all packed and waiting for the clock to turn around so I can set off. 
Have a special weekend everyone. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 May 23 11:54 BST (UK) »
Pleased to see  you pop on MH.

My  brothers complex has a big party on Sunday, but you are right, not a lot going  on, 1977 we had a huge street party, collected for weeks and weeks with a weekly raffle,  we invited a group of seniors from a local couplex where we gave them teas, they didn't stay past about lunch time as it was a dull day  here, it was such fun. I do wonder why not so much interest

Enjoy your trip with fellow Internet chums, thought you might be out dancing this weekend

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 May 23 12:10 BST (UK) »
Pleased to see  you pop on MH.

My  brothers complex has a big party on Sunday, but you are right, not a lot going  on, 1977 we had a huge street party, collected for weeks and weeks with a weekly raffle,  we invited a group of seniors from a local couplex where we gave them teas, they didn't stay past about lunch time as it was a dull day  here, it was such fun. I do wonder why not so much interest

Enjoy your trip with fellow Internet chums, thought you might be out dancing this weekend

LM

The last 2 Saturdays, but not this weekend. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 May 23 12:13 BST (UK) »
I've no intention of making a Coronation Quiche, but have just baked a Mary Berry's Orange Drizzle Sponge, which is a failsafe recipe for me.  Our village is holding an afternoon tea party with fizz (and lots of donated cakes, including mine, also dainty sandwiches) tomorrow in a marquee on the green, followed by an evening of music and food.  Tomorrow there will be a street party for the children.  There are lots of flags out already and bunting along the roadside and up above the main road.  We do like to celebrate and we are rather keen on food, especially cake!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.