Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 7th May  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 7th May
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 10:08 BST (UK) »
Well the bank holiday threw me out of kilter, always feels like another Sunday to me.

Good to hear your news Caroline, well done to your son in law in the marathon.

I love broad beans but I really wouldn't fancy them in a quiche!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 10:27 BST (UK) »
Caroline, well done to the marathon runner, my niece ran but she didn't come in till about 5pm,  anyone who runs has my admiration however long they take, I certainly couldn't do it now but I did run for my school, I remember my dad rubbing my achy legs with horse oil, well that what was what he said it was and he did have horses, it helped so I wasn't bothered what it was  called.

My husband is not a quiche eater, considering he was brought up on a farm, 1 of 5 he is very fussy, almost got to be what I call meat and veg, I often say he should have done 2 years in the forces, that would have sorted him out in more ways than one

Not sure what the weather is going to do, keeps coming over dull and looks like rain but then the sun out.

Bank holidays always throws me but we don't really benefit from any holiday now, some would say us retirees are always on holiday, wait till they retire!!!

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 10:52 BST (UK) »
Caroline, many thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking along the lines of (at least) four eggs.  ;D

I’m not a pastry maker, but want to give this one a try. I think I made pastry once about a million years ago. It must have been a disaster because I never made it again. It wasn’t a lard pastry - I’ve never used lard in cooking before ….. but….. over the weekend just past I made Sochi style Pakhlava which consisted of two layers of pastry with a walnut filling. I was stunned that the pastry worked out really quite well, which gave me a bit more confidence to attempt the pastry for the quiche.

I agree that the spinach, broadbean, tarragon combination does sound a bit unusual, but I’m going to give it a try.

Funny you should mention trifle, because that is what I am planning for dessert. I will look out for the competition winner.  ;D

Thanks again.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 13:18 BST (UK) »
I haven't made a quiche for years! On the odd times we buy one, it's a crust less one. Having said that, all this mention of quiche is making we fancy a bit lol
Grandchildren here as their school is on strike so we've doing some weeding.
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 14:07 BST (UK) »
Have just reread previous posts  - Rena, what a dreadful thing to happen.  :o Have you managed to get it sorted out?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 14:36 BST (UK) »
Have just reread previous posts  - Rena, what a dreadful thing to happen.  :o Have you managed to get it sorted out?

Thanks for asking about the situation Roobarb.   When I realised it was a long bank holiday I thought I wouldn't be able to get any tradesman to visit me but I was lucky that a local Aerial company was open for business.  It took the satellite men all morning checking cabling and the dish. Consistent rain had obviously affected one component which had finally given up the ghost, but even when it was replaced the TV obstinately stayed silent.  No amount of pushing buttons would get the TV working even though the TV's own green light flicked on and off at request.

However, half an hour after the men left and I was looking for a replacement on my computer, the TV burst into life without anyone kicking it !!!

As for the leaking roof - my daughter has visited and taken a photo of the roof .  There's an obvious hole where a ridge tile should be (where is it??), plus there might be four of the lower larger slates raised up instead of laying flat.   This is one of those times when I wish I'd had a photo taken directly after the recent work was done

I've decided not to get a tradesman but to approach  an independent surveyor/clerk of works, who probably has a list of decent reliable, skilled  trades people.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 14:48 BST (UK) »
I agree to look through a surveyor to find help, we have  Checkatrade which we can look through but to be honest, who do you choose, we all  have to be careful, can you get a recommendation from a family or  friend?,  I am positive we got " done" with something not so long ago couldn't prove it if we tried

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
I agree to look through a surveyor to find help, we have  Checkatrade which we can look through but to be honest, who do you choose, we all  have to be careful, can you get a recommendation from a family or  friend?,  I am positive we got " done" with something not so long ago couldn't prove it if we tried

LM

Sometimes you ask a pal or a neighbour if they can recommend a tradesman and they can't.  I did once use a "checkatrade" listed company.

I was pleased  with the work carried out, but was a bit perturbed when they agreed to provide but didn't provide their registered waste tip certificate.  I was so elated that my roofing was secured that I immediately gave a glowing recommendation on the website.

After the men had left I discovered a couple of large rubble filled shiny heavy duty black plastic bags that I couldn't lift had been left behind and when I 'phoned their number to request the workmen return to finalise some work, the phone was picked up, placed down on a desk and the occupants of the office carried on their conversation.  I'm sure they must have heard (but ignored) my voice.

Not too many years ago I needed a leaking tap seen to.  The Yellow pages gave one number for a local plumber.   I wanted my leaking tap repaired but what happened was the plumber rived the tap off the sink and took a replacement out of his bag making the comment "Oh, they've given me the wrong one".  He fitted the "wrong" one anyway.   When I looked at the invoice I was shocked to see that the "local" company was in fact a company from a different county and the plumber himself wasn't from either mine or the company's county.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, I thought that I would dip into the forum.

I was either going to buy a quiche - I doubt my bakery will be offering Coronation quiche though. I watched some YouTube videos and one lady threw in the broad beans whole. That would have tasted revolting, definitely remove the outer layer. I love spinach and broad beans, but I am not sure how tasty it would be. Feel like I would want to throw in some red capsicum. Then I thought Coronation frittata instead, thereby avoiding the whole pastry situation. It must be because MH gave me a 2.4 Italian ethnicity estimate when I got my results yesterday  ;D   :P

All this would spoil the integrity of the dish and make it not what it is meant to be.

I have a Union Jack scrub hat and will be wearing a royal blue scrub top with red pants.

Rena - all the best for your repairs.