Author Topic: Owner of house in Spalding  (Read 435 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owner of house in Spalding
« on: Monday 01 May 23 16:43 BST (UK) »
Advice please:

I am seeking the OWNER (not occupier) of a house in Spalding in about 1917, 1934, 1939 and 1964.

Would I get this information from the Land Registry?  If not, can anyone suggest where I could look, please.

Thanks

Pam

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owner of house in Spalding
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 23 17:00 BST (UK) »
You should be able to, if the house  use was registered, not all houses were in the early days, so older properties would more likely  be registered at the time of later sale.

Someone else may be able to tell you more.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 23 17:23 BST (UK) »
It all depends on when the property was first registered. If it had been owned by the same person throughout the period (ie there were no sales of the property) then it's possible it will be one of roughly 10-12% of properties which aren't yet registered, or have only been registered relatively recently. It wasn't compulsory everywhere until 1990, and even then only when the property was sold. Don't expect to find earlier owners for the period when the property wasn't registered. For earlier periods it be may be the local record office could have some ownership details.
Also bear in mind that the Land Registry only covers England and Wales. There's a different system with different agencies, in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land

It might also be worth checking the Lloyd George Land Survey for the area you are interested in. It covers a slightly earlier time (1910) but it might give you an owner's name to start you off.

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 23 19:13 BST (UK) »
Am I missing something?  It seems I can only access the Lloyd George Land Survey through The Genealogist, which I don't subscribe to. Is there another way?

Thanks for your ideas,

Pam

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this re older properties - about half way down under “Get historical title registers”

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/search-the-register
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 May 23 19:42 BST (UK) »
Am I missing something?  It seems I can only access the Lloyd George Land Survey through The Genealogist, which I don't subscribe to. Is there another way?
Sorry, I should said the records for Spalding are in the Lincolnshire county record office:  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/32f037f0-0586-410c-9a0b-3e3ce83ad7ef
There's general TNA Research Guide here: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/valuation-office-survey-land-value-ownership-1910-1915/

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 23 20:31 BST (UK) »
When my mother's house was sold in 1994 it was unregistered, she had lived there since 1940.
The same applied to our previous house when we moved in2007. We had lived there since 1970. But, having said that it might be possible to follow the ownership via the electoral registers if they are in the archive. Many survive back to the 1920s. The constituency is Holland with Boston. It was altered to Boston and Skegness in 1997(I think) when Spalding was moved to South Holland consituency
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 23 21:01 BST (UK) »
When my mother's house was sold in 1994 it was unregistered, she had lived there since 1940.
The same applied to our previous house when we moved in2007. We had lived there since 1970. But, having said that it might be possible to follow the ownership via the electoral registers if they are in the archive. Many survive back to the 1920s. The constituency is Holland with Boston. It was altered to Boston and Skegness in 1997(I think) when Spalding was moved to South Holland consituency

Electoral Registers only show the occupants not who owners the property.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 May 23 21:12 BST (UK) »
Quite true of course, but it MAY give a pointer in the absence of any other evidence.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)