Author Topic: Higgler John Siesor Luffman  (Read 366 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Higgler John Siesor Luffman
« on: Monday 01 May 23 20:37 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's older brother is shown in the 1871 census for Alford Lincs as a "Higgler". It turns out that he was an independent ploughman for hire during the 1860s and 1870s. Where  would he advertise his services? He worked beyond the immediate area of Alford, certainly to the west of Lincoln. Unfortunately his services did not stop at ploughing fields, wild oats too!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Higgler John Siesor Luffman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 04:37 BST (UK) »
There are various job descriptions for "higgler", I assume you know that yours is correct in this case.
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/reflib-lexicon.php?letter=H

He may have advertised, I would think it more likely to get work by word of mouth, I could well be wrong! There are however various advertisements for higglers, such as this one.
 Friday,  June 22, 1860
Publication: Stamford Mercury

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. He could well have applied for that particular contract specially given that the family owned a farm in the immediate area, courtesy of the absence of a married woman's property right in the late 1840s. By marrying his employer's widow, John's brother went from farm labourer to farmer in one easy move.
I was hoping that an advert placed by him would come to light, but now I know where to look just in case.Tahnks again.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 23 04:33 BST (UK) »
There are  a few mentions of John LUFFMAN of Alford in newspapers - some probably his father, though none mention a higgler. Happy to copy and send to you if you haven't seen them.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 May 23 20:38 BST (UK) »
Yes please. Will pm you with my contact details.