Author Topic: Ipswich criminal records  (Read 263 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ipswich criminal records
« on: Tuesday 02 May 23 13:33 BST (UK) »
My 3xgrandfather Charles Fisher Sheppeard lived in Suffolk from birth in 1799 to about 1832. In 1823 he married Sarah Clark from Tattingstone. They had six children. From 1824-26 he was the innkeeper at the Shoulder of Mutton in Hadleigh and it seems he sold up after that, perhaps he was in financial difficulties.. The last record of his existence in Suffolk indicates he was in East Bergholt when his last child was born in 1831.
His next appearance is in New South Wales in 1836, so the immediate assumption is that he may have been transported for some offence, but I can't find a convict record that fits.
I am puzzled why he would leave his wife and children for any other reason. His wife Sarah remarried a few years later (calling herself a "widow") and was living in London with Charles Marsden in 1841.
CF Sheppeard spent several years as an overseer on a number of  sheep grazing stations, notably for Benjamin Boyd at one time. In 1849 he married Eliza Brown ("widower") in Melbourne, Victoria. He died in 1854.
Getting back to why and how he left England - are there any local records that might show him up if he had been convicted for something?
What other way and for what reason could he have emigrated? I can't find him anywhere between 1831&1836.
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
Re: Ipswich criminal records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 15:13 BST (UK) »
One record comes up at Suffolk Assizes for a Charles Sheppard
1820 for Larceny
Sentenced to 1 month and Whipped
Nothing showing after that until 1872
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 15:31 BST (UK) »
What other way and for what reason could he have emigrated?

Maybe he got a job on board ship "to see the world" and stayed where he ended up, perhaps he and his wife weren't getting on  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hello
It seems Charles Fisher Sheppeard junior went out to join his father in Australia in 1850.
He was baptised 30 Jan 1824 at Capel st Mary as you know.
He appears in Prison records for South Australia 10.11.1878 -living at Mt Gambier
Given 2 1/2 years for cattle stealing .
Arrived 1850 from Liverpool on Tankerd Park
He is a sheep farmer with a wife and family
There is a description but there is also a PHOTO!
It's on Ancestry ,surely worth a look.

You may also want to look at this
It seems Charles F Sheppeard Senior was in NSW in 1834 and apprehended some bushwakers attacking the Station he was working on.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/78698584?searchTerm=charles%20fisher%20sheppeard

Ciderdrinker