Author Topic: How to research a photograph?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Ploppy123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to research a photograph?
« on: Tuesday 02 May 23 15:12 BST (UK) »
Please see attached photos.  In 1946 I was 6 years old and a lady called Olive used to visit my mum and give me rides on her bike.  She came in (I think - a WAAFs uniform. ) On the back of the photo  it says to Auntie Olive from Olive xx.  I remember her being called Olive. 
I lived in Ramsbottom Lancashire, so I assume as she  came on a bike she most probably lived in a 5-1- mile radius.  But i  cannot find any Olives in my genealogy.  My mothers side there were no siblings as both brothers did not survive the  war.  On my fathers side (he never came back  after the war - not killed just didnt come back!)  I think i have covered all his relatives apart from one.
Can anyone give me any advice on how i can find out who she was?  I am thinking of things like the photographer that took the photo?  it looks very professional.  I have posted on local heritage site but no one can help.  Kind regards,  John Howarth
Languages

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to research a photograph?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 15:28 BST (UK) »
I would just comment that lots of friends and neighbours were called "Auntie" 

It didn't mean they were actually related so she could be one of those :)

Where did you come by the photo?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Ploppy123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
A few people have mentioned the Auntie bit and I also thought that myself.  I found the photo in my belongings.  I remember Olive well riding my round the estate on her bike.  I would like to give the photo to someone as it is a very good likeness
Languages

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 16:44 BST (UK) »
When I first started family history research, I often found people by only inputting the given name in the search facility

Maybe you could try researching for an Olive in the 1939 Register in the appropriate town
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 16:49 BST (UK) »
Might try limiting your search to Olives who are within a year of your mum's age in case they were schoolfriends. Maybe also to those who would have lived near your mum when she grew up in case that gives you a different location to search.

S_L

Offline Ploppy123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for advice,  My mum was 36 in 1946 so i think she was at least 10-15 years older than Olive.
Languages

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 May 23 15:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for advice,  My mum was 36 in 1946 so i think she was at least 10-15 years older than Olive.

Our brains are marvellous entities.  Other researchers will tell you that they can stand in the middle of a strange cemetery and wonder where their ancestor is buried - then "something" will "tell them" to walk in a certain direction - and they find themselves looking at the headstone they came to find.

Once you immerse yourself into your family's history you will, in all probability, have "feelings" that;  "this is the person I'm looking for".

Best wishes,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 May 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I presume the auntie Olive that it's to was your mother.

Having a quick blunder around on freeBMD there was an Olive T CORNALL born 1925, mmn HOLT.  CORNALL's the line I'd be looking at.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Ploppy123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 May 23 06:00 BST (UK) »
many thanks Jane,  I think I looked at this link already and it came to a dead end, but thanks for advice.  John  PS  giving it a rest for a few days and having a go at something else!
Languages