Author Topic: 1st NB Militia records  (Read 286 times)

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1st NB Militia records
« on: Tuesday 02 May 23 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have recently discovered that my ancestor was a Private in the 1st NB (presumably New Brunswick) Militia (obtained this from his marriage entry in 1799 in Inveresk, Haddingtonshire, Scotland).

I am struggling to find archival sources that could potentially have recorded information regarding him and his service with the regiment.

Could someone point me in the right direction?! 😏

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1st NB Militia records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 22:50 BST (UK) »
Have you visited the national archive website to view what military lists they have?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-and-militia-1760-1915/

What you require could be on "findmypast" website.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 22:58 BST (UK) »
I have recently discovered that my ancestor was a Private in the 1st NB (presumably New Brunswick) Militia (obtained this from his marriage entry in 1799 in Inveresk, Haddingtonshire, Scotland).

That will be the North British militia.

"...it was only in 1798 that the 1st to 10th Regiments of North British Militia were raised"

https://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons/history
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 23:37 BST (UK) »
You will find references to the NB Militia in this book. If your ancestor came from the north east of Scotland, he might be in the index.

https://archive.org/details/territorialsoldi00bulluoft/page/n7/mode/2up

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 18:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyones responses. I have not been able to locate him in the publications or FindMyPast. I think it is more likely he served with the North British Militia rather than New Brunswick.

There does appear to be a few archival records at the National Records of Scotland (references GD224/426, GD224/429, GD224/437), which may be a possibility.

Attached is from the marriage entry in 1799 (he is George Frazer/Fraser).

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 19:57 BST (UK) »
I see from the page you posted that John Frazer, private in the N.B. Militia married irregularly later in the month. I looked up the session minutes, bit there is no more genealogical information than is given in the entry in the register. Brothers?