Author Topic: Culverhouse 'home children'  (Read 1435 times)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
Culverhouse 'home children'
« on: Tuesday 02 May 23 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all, looking for brothers Henry George Culverhouse 14 Oct 1902 St Pancras and Rupert Victor Culverhouse 15 Jul 1904 I realise there is a 'home children' page on Rootschat but they are not there.
I have the full history of their early lives which was spent mostly in workhouses and workhouse schools. Neither births are registered and eventually they were separated from their mother and siblings and sent to Canada 1914 arriving 21 May 1914 Ontario aboard Virginian. Their last known destination was Marchmont home, Belleville, Ontario. Any help greatly appreciated.
P.S. this is not the Rupert Victor Culverhouse 1900/1900 he was a brother who died as an infant. I have the full history of the only other Culverhouse home child Frederick Thomas (not related) who went on to marry and serve in the Royal Canadian Army. Thanks
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Culverhouse 'home children'
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 14:02 BST (UK) »
These two are proving to be elusive.  My only observations would be that they were travelling with a group from Miss Annie MacPherson's homes and were bound for Stratford, Ontario which is in southwestern Ontario -- quite distance from Belleville.  From the Board of Guardians inspection sheet, they seemed to be visited or checked on up until about 1919 at roughly the same time, so they seemed to be living pretty close to each other.

https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?id=e008749089&op=pdf

Do you have their full file?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 16:08 BST (UK) »
The boys certainly are elusive. I haven’t been able to find anything else either.

The records for Miss McPherson’s homes are apparently now held by the Barnardo organization.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 17:50 BST (UK) »
Certainly hard to find perhaps they were adopted and their names changed  ???

Rosie

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 17:54 BST (UK) »
Certainly hard to find perhaps they were adopted and their names changed  ???

Rosie

After a few attempts throughout the day, that seems to be a possible answer Rosie.
Unless that surname is very badly transcribed year after year  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 18:49 BST (UK) »
Poor School Law Register (Anc*try)
Heidy Geo Culverhouse. [Heidy most likely is Henry]

Image shows
[Names above Culverhouse]
“Culverhouse, Henry Geo.  14  10  02
   (or Hancock)
Cole, Frederick.                  2   4   05”
[Names below Cole]

Could Hancock be referring to Culverhouse (not Cole)  :-\
Note: I think the words are “or Hancock”

Added:  I tried a brief search for both boys (as Hancock) but didn’t immediately see anything.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 19:01 BST (UK) »
I’m in the middle of projects so I have to leave but there is one possibility:

1930 Brooklyn, New York census
Henry Hancock, born c1903 England
Lodger
Married - at age 24
Immigrated 1914
Superintendent, Fox Film
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 19:43 BST (UK) »
I believe the “Hancock” might belong to the Cole child? It looks like he was discharged to a Margaret Hancock.

Henry was apparently discharged for emigration.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for pointing it out, PB.  You are correct.  :)