Author Topic: Culverhouse 'home children'  (Read 1434 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Culverhouse 'home children'
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 May 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Certainly is a mystery!

Regarding the 1912 Pancras workhouse record….

It looks like George Harold was registered as Culverhouse mmn Young Dec qtr 1911 St Pancras RD

I wonder where Percy Cecil is? It looks like he was registered as Warren mmn Young Sep qtr 1907 Fulham RD. Records have his birth as 16 or 17 Aug but 1906. There is a 1978 Brighton death record for a Percy Cecil Culverhouse  b. 17 Aug 1907 . I wonder if this might be him?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 May 23 15:57 BST (UK) »
It does look like a possible death for Percy Culverhouse in Brighton 1978 Polarbear there is a tree on Ancestry that has the same information but no parents recorded
A marriage for Percy Culverhouse 1948 Brighton to a Daisy Florence Peters his sister Edith was also in Brighton ..

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 May 23 16:29 BST (UK) »
I don't have a subscription to findmypast but might be worth checking 1921 for Percy in Witham Essex ..There is also a record for a Percy Cecil Culverhouse born 1907 on the World War 2 Allies Collection and Royal Attestation records

Rosie

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 May 23 16:55 BST (UK) »
Rosie, I was wondering who the Edith you mentioned as a sister to Percy was? There seems to just be brothers found so far?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 May 23 17:10 BST (UK) »
Reply 10 they had 1 daughter and 6 sons
Baptism for Edith Louisa Culverhouse
6 March 1894
Camden Surrey
Father Edward John Culverhouse
Mother Sarah Edith Culverhouse

Rosie

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 May 23 17:23 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, I had forgotten that. Thanks Rosie.

PB

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 May 23 17:38 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, I had forgotten that. Thanks Rosie.

PB

I know it's a bit of a mystery and very sad circumstances for the children lets hope they had a better life in later years

Rosie

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 May 23 19:10 BST (UK) »
My thoughts….

Sarah and Edward had daughter Edith and son Edward after their marriage.
It appears the marriage might have broken down by 1901 census.
Sarah began living with a Mr Warren and registered her next 4 sons as if she was married.
Final son was registered as Culverhouse again and Sarah and the last 5 sons ended up in the workhouse system, possibly due to a breakdown in the relationship with Mr Warren.

I wonder if perhaps the Warren-registered children might have been found to be improperly registered as Warren by the workhouse system and thus reverted to Culverhouse since that would technically have still been Sarah’s name at the time of their births.

Anyway, food for thought.

PB

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 May 23 00:15 BST (UK) »
Update, thanks to all, PB was on the right track with the 1901 split, Sarah actually had 1 daughter and 7 sons.
First 3 children father Edward John Culverhouse:- Edith Louisa 1894-1984, Edward James 1898-1966, Rupert Victor 1900-1900 all registered as Culverhouse at Pancras.
Next 4 children to unknown Warren :- Albert Edward 1901-??, Henry George 1902-??, Rupert Victor 1904-??, Percy Cecil 1907-1978 all births registered at Fulham all with surname Warren but using surname Culverhouse apart from 1911 census.
The last son George Harold 1911-1999 registered as Culverhouse at Pancras again. Did Sarah go back to her husband ?
Without buying a bunch of birth certificates we shall probably never know.
Sadly we have not found Albert, Henry or Rupert after 1919.
Thanks once again for all the feedback.
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse