Author Topic: Culverhouse 'home children'  (Read 1431 times)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
Re: Culverhouse 'home children'
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 07 May 23 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's help, I now have the births, deaths and marriages plus most of the relevant information (Workhouses, schools etc) for all except the 2 boys who were sent to Canada, Henry George and Rupert Victor. Thanks to your help we got them as far as 1919 by which time they are in their teens and most likely went to farms or factories as labourers.
The most recent update was George Harold Culverhouse 30 Sep 1911 Pancras 1b 9 mother Young.
He married Mary Dutton Jan 1950 Ealing 5e 149 and died Nov 1999 Fulham 93a 138 age 88.
Just as a matter of interest and the main reason I am researching Culverhouse's world wide my mother was Edith Culverhouse born in Watford union workhouse 8 July 1916 but luckily she and my grandmother Edith Emily were claimed by my great grandfather John Culverhouse. Thanks again all.
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 07 May 23 17:55 BST (UK) »
Like the others I have spent days looking for Henry and Rupert and not finding anything on them .As I said previously I think they were adopted and their  name changed you would think a name like Rupert Victor would be easy to find  ???.They certainly had a hard time poor children

Rosie

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 07 May 23 18:47 BST (UK) »
I haven’t found any sign of the 2 boys either.

Rosie17 and eileenwilson have suggested you try and get their McPherson records and I think so too.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 07 May 23 19:39 BST (UK) »
I’ve also looked, when I had time, with no results.

…In the Fulham list of emigrated children there is a list of to who assigned (initially, at least)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3NR-5SZ5-K?i=751&cat=1134931
Henry was with Mr Wm Thompson of Collingwood township Grey Co, Ontario (Thornbury PO)
Rupert was with Mr Christian Stever of Mornington township, Perth Co, Ontario (Britton PO)

Yesterday, I very briefly tried researching the men (on census returns).  Mr. Stever was easy to find; I wasn’t positive if I found the correct Mr. Thompson.

I was hoping to find a “history” of multiple children living/working in their households, to give us an idea of where we could look for Henry and Rupert.  Did they take in several children; were the children with them for long; where did those children eventually go (did they stay in the area or end up miles away), etc.

Rupert went to Mr. Stever.  In 1921, a Henry Mitchell, age 17, born England, immigrated 1915, was included in Mr. Stever’s household.  Did Mr. Stever take in two (or more) boys around the same time?  A Henry Mitchell, age 11, arrived in Canada in 1915.  Noted on the passenger listed “Liverpool Sheltering Homes.  Stratford Ontario”.  Could this have been the same child?  Is it worth taking the time to find out what happened to Henry Mitchell, in case he ended up near Rupert?   ???  Might it make any sense to see if we could learn more about the circumstances of Mr. Thompson and Mr. Stever?  :-\

I haven’t found any sign of the 2 boys either.

Rosie17 and eileenwilson have suggested you try and get their McPherson records and I think so too.

PB

That might be the easiest way and possibly the safest way (rather than guessing at any possible future results).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 08 May 23 09:12 BST (UK) »

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 08 May 23 13:37 BST (UK) »
Eileen did post a link on reply 1 bbart

The link you have posted gives a bit more information but still no further advanced  ???

Rosie

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 08 May 23 17:16 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this has already been posted:

Inspection Report Cards

Henry
https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_reel_t15421/1885

​Rupert
https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_reel_t15421/1886

That is excellent bbart. I was unaware of this resource so good further info indicating that Henry may have gone to Havana (assume Cuba), and Rupert was last working in Port Dalhousie in the Niagara Region (dated 1920).   At one point, the boys were pretty close to each in Britton, Perth County. 

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 08 May 23 18:51 BST (UK) »
So, this takes us back to the 1921 census for Grantham Township, Lincoln County for a Rupert Warren, aged 16, a labourer in a factory.  Both Grantham and Port Dalhousie are all now part of the City of St. Catharines.  Although Rupert is noted as being born in Scotland and a Presbyterian, I believe it was laziness on the part of the census taker who was just copying from others in the household.

https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1921&op=img&id=e002940584