Author Topic: Arrowsmiths in mid-Cheshire  (Read 174 times)

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arrowsmiths in mid-Cheshire
« on: Wednesday 03 May 23 15:06 BST (UK) »
I have been puzzling over the attached for some time and am hoping someone may be better able to help me decipher this. It's crucial to my researches as it mentions a Simon Arrowsmith. But I have found 2 or possibly 3 others with the same name in the same part of Cheshire at around this period. So I'm hoping this might help me sort out which is which.
All suggestions gratefully received.
P.S. First time I have attached something to a Rootschat message. I think I've done the right things, but it's not clear if I have so please let me know if there is no attachment!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arrowsmiths in mid-Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 16:54 BST (UK) »
It's about Thomas Arrowsmith and Simon Arrowsmith "his n[atu]ral[l] and law[fu]ll Broth[e]r a Minor". (I think that's right - it's from lines 3-4 at the top, but it's a bit small.)

The arrangement behind this is a bond for Tuition and Curation, and he describes himself as Tutor and Curator. These are often set up in a will or by an administration to look after children before they come of age, so a likely scenario is that their father had died and Thomas was taking on responsibility for his younger brother Simon, and here he was giving an account of his dealings to the executor or administrator.

There may be other probate or administration documents connected with this, but in the meantime, do you need a full transcription? (Other readers - please feel free to provide this, as I'll be away from my computer for a bit.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 17:50 BST (UK) »
I think that's all I need, so many thanks - especially for the prompt reply.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 19:39 BST (UK) »
(I'm back now  ;)) You're welcome - just ask again if you change your mind.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk