Author Topic: Ceannabhanagh location on 1779 Inhabitants of Duke Argyll's Estate?  (Read 379 times)

Offline cathodenj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Keeping my ancestors' memories alive
    • View Profile
Ceannabhanagh location on 1779 Inhabitants of Duke Argyll's Estate?
« on: Wednesday 03 May 23 15:37 BST (UK) »
What would be the equivalent of Ceannabhanagh be as it appears on the 1779 Inhabitants of Duke of Argyll's Estate by A.I.B. Stewart? The listing reads:
   Flory McMillan age 30
   John McMillan age 26
   Malcolm McMillan age 1

I had thought this family was in the parish of Saddell..

Many Thanks,
Cathy
McMillan, Stocker, McCallum, Morrison, Thomson (McTavish), Fletcher, Campbell, McLean, Clark, McFarlane predominately from Killean, Kilfinan, Skipness and Greenock.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Ceannabhanagh location on 1779 Inhabitants of Duke Argyll's Estate?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 19:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat :)

Hmmm ...

The 'C' would be pronounced like modern 'K'; 'bh' is pronounced as 'v', and 'gh' at the end of a word is more or less silent, so it would sound vaguely like Kinavana.

Ceann means 'head' or 'headland' and it is often applied to a place at the head of a loch or glen, for example Kinlochleven is at the head of Loch Leven, and 'na' means of, but I have no idea what 'bana(gh)' means. (The 'h' is added after 'na' to alter the sound from 'b' to 'v'.)

I had a look at the listings of places in the parish of Saddell and Skipness in the Ordnance Survey Name Books, but nothing jumped out at me.

What more do you know about Flory, John and Malcolm McMillan?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cathodenj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 21:23 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the Gaelic phonetic insight.

John McMillan is listed as a deceased shepherd on Malcolm McMillan's 1855 death certificate.
Flory McMillan was either born a McCallum (Malcolm's death cert) or possibly a McLean.
Malcolm McMillan lists his birthplace as Saddell on 1841 and 1851 census, Carradale on death cert.
Malcolm McMillan married Isabel Dewar 25 Apr 1795 in Kilcalmonell and 28 Apr 1795 in Killean.
Their children were baptized from Auchnasavil, Saddell in 1798 & 1802; from Kilmichael, Saddell in 1799, in Isabel's home parish of Kilcalmonell in 1801 & 1811. The family moved to Killean by 1814. Malcolm McMillan married Mary Stalker in 1818, baptizing six more children from Achalaoskin and Tayintraun in Killean.

Looking at Angus Martin's "Kintyre Places and Place-Names" pp 35-37 - might "bana(gh)" be Beinn na? Of interest is Beinn Bhreac, "speckled peak" a mid-Kintyre peak on 1801 Langlands map as "Benvreak" as a small farm with (ruined by 1867) shepherd's shelter.

Any speculation would be enthusiastically entertained.

McMillan, Stocker, McCallum, Morrison, Thomson (McTavish), Fletcher, Campbell, McLean, Clark, McFarlane predominately from Killean, Kilfinan, Skipness and Greenock.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
Cathy,
I think the location you are looking for is on the Island of Tiree.  The steading which is not marked on current Ordnance Survey maps is shown on the 1878 OS 25"map (Argyllshire LXXVIII)[/b]]1878 OS 25"map (Argyllshire LXXVIII)
The former buildings sat just to the east of the hill known as Ceann-a-Bharra (note various spelling changes) which itself is located on the west side of Balephuil Bay.  There is an obvious sheep fank just above the shoreline, but the buildings were further to the North.

The Lat. and Long. of the former property, as best I can see from the OS map, is N. 56o27'45"  W. 6o57'40".

The property name has been anglicised in translation to "Kenvar".

Istrice

Offline cathodenj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 21:31 BST (UK) »
There is no substitute for the experience of others. Your sharing is deeply appreciated.

There are other records mentioning Kenovay so Tiree looks promising, I'm postulating it would be easy to move from there to Carradale?

Thanks again

Cathy

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 23:10 BST (UK) »
Cathy,
It wouldn't be particularly easy or comfortable as it would involve both a sea journey and a road trip.
There were several possible routes that they could have taken to Carradale.

a)  Via the Sound of Mull to Oban, and then a long trek through mid-Argyll to Tarbert and from there down the west coast of Kintyre to their destination.

b)  A journey down through the Sound of Islay and across to West Loch Tarbert, thence by road as above.

c)  By ship via the Mull of Kintyre and north to Carradale.  No log trek by road.  Depending on the time of year and the weather, this could be a less than smooth journey.

d)  Via the Ross of Mull and past the north of Jura, through the Gulf of Corryvreckan and then along the Crinan Canal to Ardrishaig, again with a fair trek ahead of them via Tarbert.  This route would depend on the size of ship to enable passage through the locks on the canal.

I'm sure that there were several other routes that would have been available to the travellers.  If you have a look at Google maps satellite view you will get some idea as to what was involved, and why sea and ferry travel on Scotland's west coast was important up until the mid/late 1800's at which time better roads were being constructed.

You may find the following site of interest  https://www.aniodhlann.org.uk/?s=kenvar

Istrice

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 23:27 BST (UK) »
Looking at Angus Martin's "Kintyre Places and Place-Names" pp 35-37 - might "bana(gh)" be Beinn na? Of interest is Beinn Bhreac, "speckled peak" a mid-Kintyre peak on 1801 Langlands map as "Benvreak" as a small farm with (ruined by 1867) shepherd's shelter.
Anything is possible, but I'd be very surprised if 'bana(gh)' is anything to do with 'Beinn na' (which means 'mountain of'), because it's 'Ceann na' already, and 'head of mountain of ...' sounds unlikely, quite apart from there not being any more to say what it's of. But it could be.

Beinn Bhreac and Benvreak, on the other hand, are an an exact match.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cathodenj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 15:02 BST (UK) »
Istrice, The Tiree Historical Society site is wonderful, thank you for the link. I appreciate the complicated nature of the journey from Tiree much more now.

Forfarian, Thank you for solving the Ceannabhanagh location mystery. Sounds like it will be similar to Achalaoskin.

Many Thanks.

Offline cathodenj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 May 23 22:53 BST (UK) »
Note: "1779 Inhabitants of the Duke of Argyll's Estate" was actually edited by Eric R. Cregeen in 1963. Judge A.I.B. Stewart edited "List of Inhabitants Upon the Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792" in 1991.