Author Topic: East India Company  (Read 315 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East India Company
« on: Thursday 04 May 23 00:37 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone will be able to help with the following:
James Urmston Warren was licensed as a Free Merchant in 1824-1830 (got that from the British Library site under India Office records).
What did that mean? Was it that if he had a license, he would haven't paid tax or did he have special privileges?
Where can I look for more information on his time there?
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: East India Company
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 May 23 01:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. I have downloaded the document for reference.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 May 23 02:22 BST (UK) »
Details from the India Office:
James U. Warren, Bond & Covenant, Free Merchant, Bengal, Amount of security: £2000,
Sureties: William J. Warren, Regent Street, Wine Merchant.
Hugh P. Beavan, Marylebone Street, Ironmonger.,
Authority of Court: 26 Apr 1826

William J. Warren (wine merchant) was James’ father, and I would guess that James was assisting with the family business in India.

On his children’s baptisms in the 1830s, James Urmston Warren is recorded as a wine merchant.

You might find mention of him in newspapers.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 May 23 03:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, every little bit of information helps.
William J Warren was also the proprietor of Warren's Hotel in Charles/Regent Street so I have some information on him.
James U Warren married Emma Hewitt in 1828; most of their children emigrated to Australia and Emma died in 1860 in Campbells Creek, Australia.
James was declared bankrupt in 1845 whilst running a hotel/boarding house in Ramsgate.
I was trying to find out more of his life before he married.
Jackie