Author Topic: Kawau Is - Gov Grey - TAYLOR family#2  (Read 580 times)

Offline CheritonF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kawau Is - Gov Grey - TAYLOR family#2
« on: Thursday 04 May 23 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Would appreciate any insight or information on the following questions. Does anyone know if there still exists any pay books, estate affairs records or similar for the time Governor George Grey owned Kawau Island during 1860s and 1870s?

Also - do baptism records exist for the parish (in Auckland?) which took jurisdiction over Kawau Island during the same time?

An ancestor, Richard Pratchett TAYLOR (origin Staffordshire/Shropshire ~1837) lived on the island from at least 1864 to 1874, his children being born during this time, but I have no idea how he came to be there or what he did while there. I believe that Governor Grey owned Kawau at this time and the mine was not operating then (?) 

A family story passed down was that my ggrandfather was baptised in the Governor's parlour and some earlier research indicated that a pastor from a mainland church (probably Anglican) regularly rowed across to the island to perform religious services.... Just haven't been able to pin down more specific details.

I know that a different TAYLOR family (#1 Family, Samuel, no relation) also lived there at the same time and another resident kept a diary which does mention Richard's family once or twice but understandably without much detail - I've not had access to the whole document only certain parts.   

Any help or advice on where to look next would be welcome :-)

Em

SHROPSHIRE: Taylor, Masefield, Pratchett, Poyner, Yates, Cherrington, Lees
WILTS: Berry, Page
DEVON: Hewish, Wright
STAFFS: Moore

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Kawau Is - Gov Grey - TAYLOR famiiy#2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 May 23 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello from NZ.

Just set aside time for a quick search of our NZ historic births.

TAYLOR hits for the ten years you mentioned were rather high, but by breaking down into 5 year periods, and then clicking on the FATHER’S column; seven births were found for Margaret and Richard. 

I assume a similar death search will find that the first Robert Henry did not last long.

I drilled down on just the last two names to find the actual date the birth entered the registry.  Just narrow the search date field, until the birth is not called up on one day, but is, on the next days date.

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search/Search?Path=%2FqueryEntry.m%3Ftype%3Dbirths

The following births to Margaret & Richard Pratchett TAYLOR are registered in our NZ HISTORIC BIRTH register.
1864 / 24233   Richard Pratchett
1866 / 12048   Ann Jane  [to Richard P TAYLOR]
1868 / 12744   William Masefield
1870  /  12986    Margaret Elizabeth
1871  /  15117   Robert Henry
1872  /  15983   Robert Henry   b  6/9/1872
1874  /  15441   Allen George   b. 23/2/1874

There is a great team of volunteers at the local WARKWORTH museum, who may be able to assist you with more local knowledge.

https://warkworthmuseum.co.nz/

Alan.

PS Had to look.  Robert Henry death at 4 months 1871 / 8176   [8/10/1871]
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 23 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Would appreciate any insight or information on the following questions. Does anyone know if there still exists any pay books, estate affairs records or similar for the time Governor George Grey owned Kawau Island during 1860s and 1870s?

Also - do baptism records exist for the parish (in Auckland?) which took jurisdiction over Kawau Island during the same time?

Hello CheritonF

As a starting point, Auckland Libraries may be able to give you answers or guidance, for the above queries ?     [They may direct you to Archives New Zealand or other... but try Libraries, first.  ;) ]

https://www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/Pages/research-enquiry-form.aspx?page=Start

~  Lu

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 23 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

https://kura.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/digital/collection/photos/id/35263/

These records may add to your knowkedge of that period on the island.

Alan.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 23 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Em,

The Wikipedia entry for Gov. George GREY is useful for the references at the bottom of the page which might lead to some answers for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Grey

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline CheritonF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kawau Is - Gov Grey - TAYLOR family#2
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 May 23 06:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Everyone for all those suggestions. You've given me some good leads.

Incidentally, not so far connected to the Rev. Richard Taylor - 'my' Richard only seems to have spent a decade or so in NZ and ended up in Australia. But you have certainly touched on the difficulty in finding someone with common first and last names. :-(

SHROPSHIRE: Taylor, Masefield, Pratchett, Poyner, Yates, Cherrington, Lees
WILTS: Berry, Page
DEVON: Hewish, Wright
STAFFS: Moore

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 May 23 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again EM.

Thank you for your reply.

The time period 1864 - 1874 that you indicated you have Richard TAYLOR associated with Kawau Island, suggests to me he was presumably educated, and on the Island in some administrative or personal assistant capacity; OR was employed within the building, or landscaping - gardening, nursery/orchards - and agriculture on the island. The land surrounding the homestead was extensively developed, while Governor Grey was there.

With children arriving from 1864 [assuming the R. P. TAYLOR children that I found was correct] he was not in NZ because of the Militia engagements, ongoing at that time.

Our historic PAPERSPAST hits came up with possibly three or four R TAYLOR’s in the North Island in that period. The high profile Reverend, a builder in greater Auckland, and one who had an issue with alcohol.  However Richard P, and Richard Pratchett, helped considerably with eliminating lessor hits. PRATCHETT is a very rear name in that period in NZ.

Being old school, I find our old National Archives way of searching more user friendly, so as another alternative you can access and search via this work around link:-

https://archway.howison.co.nz 

Depending upon the National Archives branch, holding a record of interest, there may be a member who could take photos of the file, on one of their research visits.

As well as the Warkworth local historians, an email to the John Kinder Theological Archives in Auckland, may be able to give you more information about Anglican ministry north of Auckland. It was early days in NZ farming settlement, and many parishes covered a lot of territory, and no weekly services, in outlying areas. At that time most service/travel was via the coastal seas and waterways.

The Kinder Archive, acts as the NZ Archive for Anglican and Methodist records.

www.kinderlibrary.recollect.co.nz

If you are prepared to publish names, occupation/s and area of settlement, that you have found in Australia in the 1870’s, others on this forum have a lot of experience in tracking trans Tasman movements of families.

Happy hunting.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 May 23 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Having a cuppa, and a break from farm accounting. In your research of Kawau Island history, were you aware that one John TAYLOR  and a William John TAYLOR get mentioned in the earlest records re title, and company shareholding/ownership at the Island. Our National archives hold records at both Auckland and Wellington branches.

Alan.