Author Topic: Who was Edith Derham?  (Read 287 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was Edith Derham?
« on: Thursday 04 May 23 09:16 BST (UK) »
An illegitimate child named Jephtha was baptised in Bloxworth on 9 March 1599/1600, parents Edith Derham and Reynolde Aires.
Can anyone please find out who Edith was .

Could she have been a married woman? Or would the child of a married woman automatically be assumed to be that of her legal husband?

I have an Anthony Derham of Bloxworth marrying Jone Baskam on 3 Oct 1585. They had a son baptised on 13 Jan 1586/7 (register page is torn so forename not known). Joan was buried 7 Nov 1590. From 1592, there are children baptised to Anthony and Edith, but I can't find out when Anthony married Edith or what her maiden name was.
These children include William bapt 4 April 1597 and Anthony  bapt 28 Jan 1600/01.
Almost a four year gap for Edith to have an extra marital affair - but is it likely or is Edith more likely to be a single woman - possibly Anthony's sister?

Reynolde's surname identified here
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730829.0
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Edith Derham?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 May 23 14:56 BST (UK) »
Both Edith and her husband Anthony left a will. Anthony's will does not shed any light, but Edith's is a bit longer. It can be viewed on Anc*:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01s9r/

I was hoping that there may be a mention of Jephtha; after all, my ancestor had an illegitimate son after her husband died and he appeared in her will. She did name several of her children and grandchildren, but no Jephtha, I'm afraid. Obviously this does not rule out that Jephtha was hers, but it does not confirm it either. What else do you know of Jephtha? Did he marry and have children? Was he alive in 1636, when Edith wrote her will?

Bit odd for a married woman to have a child with another man and then go back to her husband but Edith isn't a super common name (unlike Anne, Mary or Elizabeth) and I cannot find another marriage or burial for an Edith Derham in Bloxworth...

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Edith Derham?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 23 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the link to the wills. As Edith mentions Matthew first and "my sonne" is an afterthought, I wonder if he was the son of Anthony's first wife, whose name was torn off the side of the register. I hadn't found a  baptism for him as Edith's son. The first child where Edith is recorded as the mother was Margaret (1592) who married William Hus(s)ey in 1618.

I can't find anything further about Jephtha unfortunately.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott