Author Topic: The MOOREs of Tettenhall Staffs  (Read 331 times)

Offline CheritonF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The MOOREs of Tettenhall Staffs
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 May 23 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Everyone for sending through your finds!

I'm not sure I'll be able to address them all right now but here goes....

Firstly you have encouraged me to look a little bit further afield...

Re: Hugh #1's age, as noted his age is reported consistently in registration, parish records and newspapers. The only doubt if there is one, is that the informant was Wm Sproson, either his son-in-law or his grandson neither of whom may have known early history, only what they were told! (Too cynical?)

On the other hand he did outlive 4 and possibly 6 of his children who survived to adulthood!

He was of Compton which makes Job's baptism entry as per Ciderdrinker intriguing and lends weight to it being in the same family line - Thx.
Also links to apprenticeship in 1767

Agreed that the Hugh who died in 1745 was Hugh#0, the father of Hugh bap. 1722 and this latter one is possibly the Hugh who died in 1791. Is that what you thought?

I believe that the references to Hugh of Palmers Cross are to Hugh#2, son of Hugh#1

I wondered about the marriage licence for Joseph M. and Mary Beckett - the marriage occurred after the first (allocated) child was baptised - didn't ignore it as being the same couple but hadn't definitely linked it. Need to look again.

This is from his will, written 1835 (died 1839): bequeaths all freehold and copyhold located in Compton and in Wolverhampton or elsewhere  - without specifying any individual property. Could this possibly be an ‘umbrella’ statement and didn’t mean he actually held this property at the time of his death?   
But estate may have taken until 1847 or even 1855 to settle (as per Death Duty register).

Thanks once again to all for taking the time to look into what you have already. I need to re-evaluate what i have and what you have presented and look wider than Tettenhall/Codsall!

Em
SHROPSHIRE: Taylor, Masefield, Pratchett, Poyner, Yates, Cherrington, Lees
WILTS: Berry, Page
DEVON: Hewish, Wright
STAFFS: Moore

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The MOOREs of Tettenhall Staffs
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 May 23 10:31 BST (UK) »
WILLIAM SPROSON and WILLIAM SPROSON JNR.

Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Wednesday 20 September 1837

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that the Partnership which lately  subsisted bteween us, the undersigned WILLIAM SPROSON and WILLIAM SPROSON the younger, of Wightwick, in the Parish of Tettenhall, in the county of Stafford, millers, was on this day dissolved by mutual consent, and that all debts due to or owing from the said partnership concern will be received and paid by the said WILLIAM SPROSON the younger:

as witness our hands this 25day of September 1837

WILLIAM SPROSON
WILLIAM SPROSON, Jnr.