Author Topic: St Christopher's Home for Boys  (Read 321 times)

Offline gimli74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Christopher's Home for Boys
« on: Friday 05 May 23 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am looking for information on St Christopher's Home for Boys in Penge. It was situated at 5 Avenue Road, Penge.
I have just discovered that my Great Grandfather was an inmate their in 1921 and I am trying to find out any information and if any records still exist.
I have contacted both Croydon and Bromley council and they have no records at all.

Thanks in advanced
Gimli 74
Locke- Petersfield
Merritt- East Meon
Reece/Deane- London
Haskell- Bournemouth
Brake-Dorset
Shearing- Canford Magna
Rose- Bournemouth
Harris- Coventry
Smith- Coventry

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Christopher's Home for Boys
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
I assume that Mr and Mrs A J Summers were there in the 1921 census, so not much new information here I'm afraid.

Note the gender fluidity in the arrangements!

16 December 1921, Norwood News

Whist Drive. – An enjoyable whist drive was held at St. Christopher's Home for Boys, Avenue-road, Penge, on Saturday evening, in aid of the funds of the home. Mr. A. J. Summers officiated as as M. C. Twelve tables were occupied. All the prizes were given by friends of the home, and the whist chairs and tables were lent by the Penge Constitutional Club, Ltd. Tho drive was a complete success socially and financially. The energetic hon. secretary of the local committee, Mrs. A. J. Summers, who arranged the drive, distributed the prizes, the winners being: Ladies: 1, Mrs. E. M. Street; 2, Miss Nellie Llellyett. Gent.'s: 1, Mr. P. J. Hayes; 2, Mrs. Williams (playing as gentleman). Highest at interval: Ladies, Mrs. Mitcham; gent.'s, Miss Barnes (playing as gentleman). Mr. Summers, on behalf of the local committee, thanked the players for their presence, and assured them they had not only spent a pleasant evening, but had also been the means of helping & most deserving cause. A vote of thanks to Mrs. Summers was heartily accorded.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline gimli74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this. I have absolutely no information on the home. I know the Census record was filled out by Miss Mabe.

Any information is greatly received.
Thanks again
Gimli 74
Locke- Petersfield
Merritt- East Meon
Reece/Deane- London
Haskell- Bournemouth
Brake-Dorset
Shearing- Canford Magna
Rose- Bournemouth
Harris- Coventry
Smith- Coventry

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 23 18:11 BST (UK) »
I assume that Mr and Mrs A J Summers were there in the 1921 census, so not much new information here I'm afraid.

I suspect that they were just fund raising, not resident.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 23 20:27 BST (UK) »
Is it connected with this organisation? https://www.stchris.org.uk/about-us/our-history/  If so it's an independent charity

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 May 23 03:10 BST (UK) »
Kelly's 1922 Beckenham & Penge street directory lists it as:
St. Christopher's Boys' Home (Society of the Holy Family).

No 5 was a private house in the following 1923 directory and also in the 1917 one. I don't have house-by-house directories for 1918-21 (if any were priduced), and I haven't yet found it elsewhere in the area in any other years,

A Mr Arthur John Summers, solicitor, is shown not far away at 6 Stembridge Road in 1922 qnd 1923. No sign of a Miss Mabe.

I'll keep looking, but it appears it may have been short-lived or moved elsewhere.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.