Author Topic: Who do you think you are series 20  (Read 7981 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you think you are series 20
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 24 June 23 14:02 BST (UK) »
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 24 June 23 14:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry if it was, just got carried away as just watched the episode of Kevin Clifton :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 25 June 23 21:50 BST (UK) »

This story:  https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~coigach/genealogy/matooskie.htm

Also mentioned a few years ago here on Rootschat: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=228424.0

ADDED: Just reading the penultimate post on the above thread (4 Aug 2021) "I'm a researcher currently working for a UK based history TV programme and I'd love to hear more about what you know about Matooskie and also your connections with her descendants if posssible.  Thank you so much, Hermione".  Someone named Hermione Hellyer was working as a Development Researcher on WDYTYA in Aug 2021 - same person?

Hiya, yes, Hermione was the key researcher, though I was disapointed not to see her noted in the credits, I guess because she was a contract employee, and of course lots of people were also involved in the production. I supplied to her the photo of Matooskie which had been shared to me some years earlier by another descendant, as well pointed her to other sources.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 25 June 23 21:58 BST (UK) »

Very interesting story, although I have never heard of Matooskie (and I used to teach Canadian history).  Alexander Mackenzie is very well known.
Thanks for this, Jomot.

Though the show did not go into her Scottish roots, her father Roderick MacKenzie of Terrebonne (noted on one of the docs glimpsed over, more fully covered in my file), was a first cousin and best friend of Alex, it is thought he wrote the first third of the book that won Alex his knighthood. Roderick founded Fort Chipewyan, oldest permanently inhabited community in Alberta, and from there Alex left on his two voyages of discovery. Roderick was a noted historian and ethnologist.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 26 June 23 21:31 BST (UK) »
My favourite episode this series so far.  Not heard of him before but quite a story he uncovered. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 08 July 23 01:09 BST (UK) »
Did anyone watch the Emily Atack episode? The McCartney/McCarthy line was interesting. They could have gone a bit further Rose Ann Hughes the first Irish-born ancestor on that line (mother of James the plumber/painter born in 1845) was Irish but her husband James (the upholsterer) was born in Liverpool. He was born in 1822 to Irish parents James & Ann. So the McCartney/McCarthys were very early Irish migrants something I like to see because earlier migration is often overlooked.

At first I doubted the surname had once been McCarthy or similar so I did some research. The earliest records have McCarty, McCartey or McCarthy but McCartney appears as early as 1845 for the RC baptism of James (the plumber/painter). James (the upholsterer) born in 1822 when he married in 1844 signed as McCarthy but his son James (the plumber/painter) when he married in 1864 signed as McCartney and from then on they were usually recorded as McCartney.   

Blue   

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 08 July 23 10:11 BST (UK) »
Yes watched it last night.

Good bit of research there Blue :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 08 July 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
Yes watched it last night.

Good bit of research there Blue :)

Thanks. It started out as that can't be right it must just be the name being put down wrong but it happened enough to suggest that the name really was once McCarty or McCarthy and McCartney was a later variation that Paul's ancestors chose rather than the other ones. Some of the variations found:-

McCartey 1822 Baptism of James s of James & Ann McCartey (St Anthony RC)      
McCartey 1841 Census of James s of James & Ann McCartey            
McCarthy 1844 Marriage of James McCarthy & Rosanna Hughes (St Nicholas CE)   
McCartney 1845 Baptism of James s of James & Rose McCartney (St Nicholas RC)   
McCarty 1845 Birth registration of James s of James McCarty & Rose Hughes      
McCartney 1847 Baptism of Anne d of James & Rose McCartney (St Mary RC)      
McCarthy 1851 Census of Hughes family & Rose, James & Frances McCarthy      
McCarthy 1859 Marriage of JA Templeton & Rose Ann McCarthy (St Anthony RC)   
McCarthy 1861 Census of Templeton, Hughes & McCarthy            
McCartney 1864 Marriage of James McCartney & Elizabeth Williams (St Peter CE)   
McCartney 1866 Baptism of Joseph s of James & Elizabeth McCartney (St Anthony RC)   
McCarney 1871 Census of James & Elizabeth McCarney with son Joseph         
McCartney 1881 Census of Elizabeth McCartney (husband seaman) & family      
McCartney 1891 Census of Elizabeth McCartney widow & family             
McCartney 1896 Marriage of Joseph McCartney & Florence Clegg (Christ Church Kensington CE)
McCartney 1901 Census of Joseph & Florence McCartney & family         
McCartney 1911 Census of Joseph & Florence McCartney & family            

Blue

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 08 July 23 17:42 BST (UK) »
A broad Irish accent saying McCarthy would sound like McCartey.

And not such a big step to McCartney?

Especially when heard by English ears ;)

P.S. I particularly liked the van Tulleken twins episode.
Both because of the twins in my family, and because I spent 16 years in The Netherlands.
Not been a bad episode in this series, so far.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)