Author Topic: ag labs  (Read 1029 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: ag labs
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 May 23 12:32 BST (UK) »
I think it was hiring fairs, and some ag labs just went where there was more work available or better wages. Or word of mouth, a friend or relative knew of labouring work in another county.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 May 23 23:15 BST (UK) »
By the 1840s trains were becoming more popular so some ag labs probably travelled on trains to help out at other farms a distance away. Not sure how expensive they were though back then.
Many ag-labs were hired every autumn and didn't move far, but those that had to travel most likely went on the tramp.  The railway network was still fairly sparse in 1841, and I would guess that any ag-lab with a family would prefer to avoid buying several tickets when looking for employment.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 12:29 BST (UK) »
There are two types of farming :

(a) pastoral (rearing animals for food such as cattle, sheep and pigs ,

(b) arable (growing crops, including cereals such as wheat, and barley, oilseed rape, peas and beans, sugar beet and potatoes. )

If an ancestor worked on a Duke's estate (for example) he might have travelled quite some distances to work on his employer's farms, especially moving when needed for spring lambing, or moving in autumn for harvesting before the rains came.

When I was young I lived in a farming village and remember one year when my then boyfriend had been working long hours through the night for his farmer employer gathering in the crops and then was sent forty miles northward, where he stayed for three weeks,  to assist another farmer gather in his crops.

When my late OH was young in the 1950s he knew two old Irish farmhands in their 70s, who lived in Ireland with their families during the winter months and then travelled to England travelling across the land assisting with seasonal work.

If you've read Alison Uttley's semi-autobiographical novel "The Country Child" about a Derbyshire farmer's young daughter, it records the different workmen/labourers visiting the farm throughout the year - hedgers and ditchers in the Spring, the "Moldy Warp" man (mole catcher) and the Irishmen who came across to England to bring in the harvest every year.  Ag Labs  with a special skill moved around all the time.  Even those not so skilled were moved around as required by their employers.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 13:38 BST (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 14:51 BST (UK) »
Tracing Your Rural Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians by Jonathan Brown (comes up on many sites)

https://www.countryfile.com/how-to/family-tree/     (came up on Google and looks as if it could help)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 23:01 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandmother's line  worked in the pottery industry and resided in the West Riding of Yorkshire.  It became noticeable from later West Riding Yorkshire census that many men had been born in Derbyshire.

The reason for the movement was that coal had been found in the area where my ancestors lived and the wages in Yorkshire were far higher than the wages that the Derbyshire miners received - hence the move over the county boundaries..

As regards a Hereford family being found in London - Hereford cattle are quite famous and would have brought a good price in the London cattle market.  This was held in the Smithfield Market but later removed to Islington
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke