Author Topic: Edmond/Edmund Lewis, bapt.1743, Marshfield St Mary, please  (Read 248 times)

Offline JeffH1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edmond/Edmund Lewis, bapt.1743, Marshfield St Mary, please
« on: Saturday 06 May 23 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Very recent joiner here, only recently embarked on this search, blundering around enthusiastically rather than methodically, and would be very grateful for any info/signposting/help.

I'm confident of my tracing back to Edmond/Edmund Lewis as above, but am struggling to establish:

- DoD: I have both 1782 and 25 April 1806
- father: candidate is Edmond/Edmund Lewis 1686-1759
- mother: candidate is Sarah Lawrence 1698-1746

I should add that my only source for the info above is someone else's tree on FindMyPast.

I should also add that my Lewises rather unhelpfully ended up relocating to Whitchurch,  Glamorganshire, almost the very epicentre of the Lewises of The Van... so I wasted a lot of time chasing that particular rabbit.

I'd appreciate any help.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edmond/Edmund Lewis, bapt.1743, Marshfield St Mary, please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 May 23 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to RootsChat!

I personally would not rely on family trees made by other users, especially when researching this far back. Instead, it is best to utilise primary sources, i.e. parish registers containing details of birth, marriage and death, wills etc. If you can look at an image of these, rather than a transcription, that is even better!

In terms of your Edmond, could you please provide more details on his life. For example:

- Whom did he marry and where? Who were the witnesses?
- Where were his children baptised and what were their names (for naming patterns)?
- Where is the last place you can find him in primary sources? I imagine this is probably the final baptism of his child.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline JeffH1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 May 23 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Queenie,

Thanks very much for your welcome, and also for your advice and very helpful questions.

This is just a very quick acknowledgement for now; I'll come back with the requested information over the next few days.

Best wishes,

Jeff

PS I see you have a Berkshire "1-d" Fidler in your tree; I'm in Berkshire, and it's an unusual spelling...it's possible we have a 1939 Register address-based connection. Was one of your 1939 Berkshire Fidlers a Police Inspector by any chance?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 May 23 09:26 BST (UK) »
And a welcome from me also Jeff.

And I totally agree with Queenie re not going with others Trees with out primary sources.

Having said that!

St Mary, Marshfield

EDMOND Lewis bapt 04 May 1743, Father EDMOND

EDMUND Lewis, Widower, married Ann NICHOLAS, Widow, 20 Feb 1771, St Woolos, Newport

+ 1st Marriage appears to be;
EDMUND Lewis of St Woolos,  20 May 1760 St Mary, Nash, to Mary JONES of the Parish

Have a look around on FreeREG to try and confirm some of the info you have from Trees

www.freereg.org.uk

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JeffH1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 May 23 15:42 BST (UK) »
Gasp!

Hello Trish, and thanks very much for your welcome and response too.

This is really helpful information, I'm very grateful to you. It also explains why Mary JONES appears in that other person's Tree. Furthermore, it indicates a clear error in that Tree, about a different surname which has stumped me until now. (Incidentally, you and Queenie may find it reassuring to know that I don't uncritically accept info from other people's Trees until after I've cross-checked it several ways, as best I can, and there's certainly been lots of information which I've elected not to accept. Nonetheless, your advice is much appreciated).

It's also good to see the place/parish names of St Woolos and St Mary, Nash, in your information, as these appear in my Tree as the origins of those Monmouthshire LEWISES (and/or subsequent spouses) who re-settled in Whitchurch, Glamorganshire. Indeed, Edmund1743 was the farmer of Deri Farm, Rhiwbina, Whitchurch, and this passed down to his son Edmund1774 and then grandson Edmund1797. I haven't looked into the title of the land yet, but my working assumption is that they were tenants rather than freeholders, and that the land was probably part of the Tredegar Estate. Similarly, other grandsons (from William1807 onwards) were Innkeepers of the Holly Bush Inn, Whitchurch, which I assume was also part of the Estate.

Incidentally, William1807 became connected with the Holly Bush Inn sometime after his marriage (1831) to Jane JONES, whose father Joseph had been Innkeeper there for some considerable time. It's tempting to hypothesise a connection there with the earlier Mary JONES, but my layperson's understanding is that there was more than one JONES in south Wales at that time...

Best wishes,

Jeff

PS thanks also for the recommendation about FreeREG. I do use that, but I'm not certain that I know how to get the best out of it at this stage. However, I'll continue to blunder on enthusiastically, in the hope that I'll get better as I go along

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 23 10:46 BST (UK) »
As Ann Nicholas was a widow she was nee ?

There are 2 bapts to HENRY/ANN Nicholas St Woolos
John 01 Mar 1764
Henry 17 Apr 1766

Cant see a Marriage on FreeREG for Henry to Ann/e
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)