Author Topic: Ann Jane Lindsay Cousin née MacDonald . Glasgow  (Read 546 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Ann Jane Lindsay Cousin née MacDonald . Glasgow
« on: Saturday 06 May 23 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi , I am about to go to Scotland in next few weeks and am trying to visit old homes from the family . I have found my husband great grandmother Ann Jane Linsdsay Cousin lived at 5 Thomson street Govan in the 1901 census . I was told they lived in Greenock but it might be interchangeable ???. I plan to visit but can not find it in google maps. I am about to order a old ordinance map for the area but was hoping someone on here might have local knowledge . any help very welcome . There is a Thomson street in Glasgow but I am not sure if this is the one . Thanks Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Jane Lindsay Cousin née MacDonald . Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 May 23 20:47 BST (UK) »
Greenock is a totally different town.

Govan is in Glasgow, south of the Clyde. Much of the area has been rebuilt. In the 1890s map on the link, go south of the Clyde down the left side of the map and you'll come to Elder Park. Thomson street runs along the right side of the park.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/142842662

Here is the area today on Google Maps. The park is still there, but the houses to the east of it have been rebuilt and Thomson Street has gone.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.8631477,-4.3220907,17z

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 May 23 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for your quick reply .it makes my trip planning easier though it is a shame . TY Fred.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 May 23 20:08 BST (UK) »
Fred, did they move to Greenock after Glasgow?

The Valuation Rolls www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/valuation-rolls have:

ROSS COUSINS Tenant/Occupier
1915 -1920 - 1930
HOUSE NO 17 LADYBURN PORT GLASGOW ROAD GREENOCK RENFREWSHIRE

There are also references in the VRs to an address in Gourock, Renfrewshire

1939 5 ADELAIDE STREET
1940 5 BATH STREET

I think they are in Gourock, with 5 children, for the 1911 census looking at the index. The original image will let you confirm their address and full details. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk By 1921, the look to be in Greenock.

Is this Ross Cousins's death?

Ross COUSINS
Age 88
Ref 564 / 346
Greenock

Death for Ann Jane:

ANN JANE L COUSINS
Age 64
Ref 644 / 1 / 68
Shettleston, Glasgow

Both these death registrations are within the period you can view online on Scotlands People. It is pay to view but costs are reasonable.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 May 23 20:16 BST (UK) »
Ohh how interesting . I heard they were Greenock and Gourock so I will do some immediate searching as I leave Manchester on Tuesday heading north . Thank you for info I am pretty sure that’s the family . Bye Fred .

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 May 23 20:47 BST (UK) »
Good luck with it all  ;)

Found this old post on Ladyburn Buildings, Port Glasgow which you might find of interest and may help you get some bearings www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=303978.9

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 May 23 20:55 BST (UK) »
Not sure how long you are planning to be in Greenock, but the Watt Library in Greenock and their Family History Resources will undoubtedly be a help. See www.inverclyde.gov.uk/assets/attach/16/Tracing-your-family-1-.pdf

Monica

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi I caught a bus from Penrith to Greenock as the start of my Scottish research . Stayed one night in the university hall on residence on the river …. A bargain … husband tested with Covid in 12 hours and we returned to base in England to isolate . Home now in NZ and refereshing my interest in thd in laws . Thanks for the help . Fred

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 22:18 GMT (UK) »
That is a pity. Hope husband recovered quickly. Nothing worse that being ill on holiday and away from home.

Monica