Author Topic: McLaren  (Read 443 times)

Offline raggyroo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLaren
« on: Sunday 07 May 23 13:38 BST (UK) »
hi im tracing my partners tree but i have reached a brick wall with his great grandfather and grandfather on his dads side. i have never had to research irish records before so this is all new to me. i think i found his grandfather on the 1911 census living in glasgow with his parents it says he was born in glasgow but i still cant find a birth for him but on the census also it says both parents born ireland and 2 of his siblings was born in ireland. so on speaking to people one of them said they think his g-grandfater was born at blackrock ireland.
what i have is this as on diffrent certs the mothers name changes but the one on the 1911 cen is this

Hugh McLaren and Susanna McLaren who i have no info on and then their son who at somepoint after marriage changes his last name
Hugh Mclaren B -------M 24 sep 1937 to Williamina Deans glasgow scotland D 24 oct 1976 inverness
 scotland
when he died the spelling of his last name was maclennan

any help being pointed in the right direction would help and thank you for reading

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: McLaren
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 May 23 14:29 BST (UK) »
Bit confusing - please post the full 1911 entry with ages/birthplaces

The 1976 death you mention shows his mmn as Wilson

Have you found deaths for the parents on SP which will give their parents names?

What maiden name is shown for his mother on his marriage cert to Williamina

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 May 23 14:31 BST (UK) »
Can you start by giving us the information from the 1937 marriage certificate.  Parents' names, occupations, Hugh's age and address, as well as names of witnesses.

Debra  :)

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 May 23 14:38 BST (UK) »
There’s a Hugh McLennan birth in Blantyre in 1904 in the Scotlandspeople indexes. GROS ref: 624/681. Mother’s maiden name was Williamson.  Could that be your Hugh? As CaroleW has said we need a bit more information.
Elwyn

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 May 23 14:50 BST (UK) »

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 May 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
There’s a Hugh McLennan birth in Blantyre in 1904 in the Scotlandspeople indexes. GROS ref: 624/681. Mother’s maiden name was Williamson.  Could that be your Hugh? As CaroleW has said we need a bit more information.

If the above couple are the correct parents then this looks like if might be their marriage in Co. Tyrone- groom's surname McLernon-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1896/10497/5823006.pdf
Son James born 1897-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1897/02132/1809991.pdf
Son Arthur Augustine born 1899-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1899/02044/1782818.pdf

Added- Didn't get notification that last reply was there but looks like we found the same family in Ireland and with heywood posting 1901 census looks like a very good possibility.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 May 23 14:56 BST (UK) »
Snap  ;)

Offline raggyroo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 May 23 21:24 BST (UK) »
hi everyone thank you so much for all the help you have given me and for the leads. here is the info that i have untill i look at the things mentioned.

Hugh McLaren/MacLennan B 24 nov 1904 i got from death cert and havent found the birth cert

M 24 sep 1937 to williamina deans glasgow his parents hugh McLaren coal mining contractor sarah Mclennan deceased no wittnesses it says warrant of sheriff dated 21st sep 1937

D 24 oct 1976 inverness parents on the death cert is hugh maclennan coal miner and sarah wilson informant j maclennan son

1911 census
Hugh McLaren head 36 coal miner ireland
susanna McLaren wife  34 ireland
james McLaren son 13 ireland
arthur McLaren son 12 ireland
Hugh McLaren son 5 lanark
joseph McLaren son 3 lanark

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 May 23 21:40 BST (UK) »
This looks like it might be Hugh's birth registration-
MCLENNON
HUGH
mother's maiden name- WILLIAMSON
M
624 / 683
BLANTYRE
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!